1971 Grumman AA1A - Nice! - $19,000

toddsanderson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Sanderson
1971 Grumman AA1A - Nice! - eBay!

Hi Guys. I'm done with the AA1A. Great little plane with a fresh annual and exceptional maintenance since new. I put it on eBay and copied the listing info here. If you want a fun toy to play with flying with the canopy open or want to teach your wife or kids to fly this is the perfect airplane:

1971 Grumman AA1A N9462L SN#AA1A-0262

3940 TT 1032 SMOH - Mattituck O-235-C2C 108HP with 2400 TBO!

Fresh 10-15-2014 Annual - Biennial Pitot Static check 8-23-13-2013

100% ready to go - Excellent airplane that flies hands off with no damage history and all logs since new!

I bought this airplane early this year to teach my son how to fly. I chose this airplane for it's light handling and high wing loading to transition him into my Glasair. This airplane is the perfect trainer for those wanting to learn to fly. It will hold (2) 200 lb 6'4" people comfortably. The useful load is 456 pounds and fuel capacity is 22 gallons useable. It has simple systems and a bullet proof O-235-C2C engine. This engine is very similar to the engine used in the Cessna 152. This particular engine was rebuilt by Mattituck and is very strong with only 1032 SMOH and a 2400 hour TBO. Compression at annual were 76/77/76/77.

Overall, this airplane is about as good as you will find in a 40+ year old aircraft. The airframe is straight with no damage history and no corrosion. It has been hangared and that is evident by the condition. The paint is a solid 7 as well as the interior. The paint shines well with only minor chipping and minor hangar rash in a couple places. Interior and headliner were replaced in 2002 and the windshield was replaced in 2009. The glass is excellent.

The engine starts immediately and runs perfect. The hoses and baffling are excellent. There are no oil or fuel leaks. This aircraft has an oil cooler as well. It also is equipped with a McCauley 1C105 prop that is set to a 54 pitch. This prop gives you roughly 2500 RPM in the climb and 2700 RPM full throttle level. Level cruise at 2500 RPM is 115 MPH using 5 GPH.

This is a very nice flying plane with no issues. It will fly hands off and trims well. Flying with the canopy 1/2 open is extremely comfortable in the summertime. In the winter the canopy gives radiant heat from the sun and the aircraft heater works great as well. The logs are complete since day one with exceptional maintenance indicated. The logs are very clear and well organized with separate sections for AD compliance, 337s, yellow tags, etc. Everything works in this plane except for the old Davtron VOR radial indicator which was obsolete about 25 years ago.

The avionics consist of a King KX125 Digital Nav/Com radio with Localizer and digital radial information and CDI. The transponder is a Narco AT50A with mode C encoder. The intercom is a PS engineering 501 and both yokes have PTT for radio transmission. There is also a Collins audio panel with marker beacons. I have also installed an iPad Mini Ram mount. I used it along with my Garmin GDL-39 3D (not included) for my moving map and backup Attitude system.

The aircraft has the following STC improvements that are very desirable:

1. Aviation Development Corp Hinged Top Cowl for easy engine access.

2. Aviation Development Corp Split Nose Bowl for easy cowl removal.

3. Oil cooler

4. Auto fuel STC (never used to the best of my knowledge)

5. Shoulder harnesses

6. Zeftronics voltage regulator

7. Frank Johnston (Fletcher Aviation) Improved Torque Tube

The aircraft also comes with a personalized Kennon cabin cover in excellent condition. This is nice to have if traveling to keep sun and water out of the cabin area.

The last annual included a new battery, new nose wheel bearings, and new hardware for the trim system. Previous maintenance is exceptional showing continuous and proper maintenance.

Attachments

• 20141017_132800.jpg
    20141017_132800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • 20141017_133558.jpg
    20141017_133558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 222
  • 20141017_134225.jpg
    20141017_134225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • 20141017_134156.jpg
    20141017_134156.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Good plane, good price!

This is how you sell an airplane on the internet. You put your kid in it, that says a lot. Good luck with the sale. Though you won't need it, good planes sell fast. If I had 20K in my pocket and wanted a 2 seater, I'd be all over this one.

Last edited:
This is going to go easy. Grumman guys will see the torque tube upgrade, and the cowl upgrade and know the owner was meticulous.

The only caveat is the 456 useful. With 400 in payload, that only leave 56 Lbs for fuel, or maybe 45 minutes with VFR reserves and unusable fuel onboard. Need to find light buyers.

This is going to go easy. Grumman guys will see the torque tube upgrade, and the cowl upgrade and know the owner was meticulous.

The only caveat is the 456 useful. With 400 in payload, that only leave 56 Lbs for fuel, or maybe 45 minutes with VFR reserves and unusable fuel onboard. Need to find light buyers.

Thanks guys.

Yes, the useful is low, but it is the same as a 150/152. I am 190 lbs and my son 150. So, that leaves 110 for fuel and bags. 22 gallons is 132 lbs, so slightly over. However, it only burns literally 5.5 gallons per hour in the pattern and 5 GPH X-country. You can legally put 2 200 pounders in the plane and 10 gallons of fuel doing an hour of touch and goes and still have 45 minute reserve. The differential steering is so much nicer than conventional nose steering. The manual fuel gauges are nice also. The visibility can't be beaten either. It is like flying a little fighter.

I've heard it ain't the end of the world if they are a little over gross, said a friend.

I've heard it ain't the end of the world if they are a little over gross, said a friend.

It is like anything - depends on the conditions. On a 100F day it is a 400 FPM plane at gross @ 85 MPH indicated. On a 40F day it is a 750 FPM plane. The real joy of this plane is it's simplicity, light control forces that make it feel like a fighter, and the outstanding view. The cabin is also quite a bit wider than a 150 and definitely more comfortable. It is just one of those planes you don't mind owning as it costs very little to maintain and run at 5 GPH.

Is the 125hp O-235 STC available for the AA1-A?

I am not sure about that. I know there is an O-290 and O-320 conversion available.

The pistons in this engine are 6.75:1 I believe and there are applications that use 8.5:1.

I was told by my mechanic that the owner can have pistons made as "owner built" and he can legally install them if I supply them to him. I would then become liable for their safety in the airplane. I guess this is a little bit of a loophole for those wanting more power. In this airplane I would probably not do it since it performs just fine at gross weight. It is just a fun little plane to fly around and enjoy the scenery. I would not want to make it any more complicated.

I am not sure about that. I know there is an O-290 and O-320 conversion available.

The pistons in this engine are 6.75:1 I believe and there are applications that use 8.5:1.

I was told by my mechanic that the owner can have pistons made as "owner built" and he can legally install them if I supply them to him. I would then become liable for their safety in the airplane. I guess this is a little bit of a loophole for those wanting more power. In this airplane I would probably not do it since it performs just fine at gross weight. It is just a fun little plane to fly around and enjoy the scenery. I would not want to make it any more complicated.

There is a 125hp version called a Sparrowhawk IIRC.

Thank you for posting this! I may be bidding on your aircraft. Everything I'm looking for so far, you've got. We'll see.

I guess good things DO come to those who wait! :)

Last edited:
Concur.
That's typical for an AA-1A. The 1B's have an extra 60 lb MGW without being significantly heavier.

It has been for some folks in accidents AA-1x I've reviewed. Do not overload a stock-engine AA-1x -- the takeoff/climb performance disappears rapidly.

The best way to fly this plane is to rotate at 65-70 and stay in ground effect until 85. Start climbing at 85 and it will fly just fine at gross or a bit over. We are on a 5000' strip so runway length was not a factor; however, we did many lessons on my friend's 2000' grass strip with no problem.

This is not a short field STOL plane for sure, but it does just fine if you have a little skill.

The best way to fly this plane is to rotate at 65-70 and stay in ground effect until 85. Start climbing at 85 and it will fly just fine at gross or a bit over. We are on a 5000' strip so runway length was not a factor; however, we did many lessons on my friend's 2000' grass strip with no problem.
Bad advice for an AA-1A, and it gets worse as DA goes up. Just say "no" to flying a stock-engine Yankee over max gross.

Bad advice for an AA-1A, and it gets worse as DA goes up. Just say "no" to flying a stock-engine Yankee over max gross.
I didn't say to fly it over gross. I am just saying this technique works the best. If you pull the plane off the ground too early and try to climb at a low airspeed it will increase your needed distance to clear an obstacle greatly. It did not take long to figure out that this airplane builds speed very slowly climbing and builds it very quickly descending. Trying to climb and gain airspeed right after takeoff is not the best practice. My Glassair III behaves the same way and so did my TS-11 Iskra jet. If you want a plane that will take off in 300 ft with gold bricks in it you buy a Super Cub:D

Anyway, I have flown the plane at gross on a hot day. It is not a big deal. In fact, it is not much different performance wise than a 150 at gross other than the speeds are about 20 MPH higher and the rate of descent is higher power off.

The cheat I gave in the prev thread on the AA-1(which works but was panned by several) make a heck of a difference. From a pilot who flew them in hot weather with the plane at gross for several years in SoCal. Low numerical pitch prop, dial the timing back a bit and it helps to have the prop in very good balance, and no nicks. You need to get that prop spinning like the dickens to produce good thrust. I won't get in one that has the 57 or 56" pitch prop. 54" is marginal.

The cheat I gave in the prev thread on the AA-1(which works but was panned by several) make a heck of a difference. From a pilot who flew them in hot weather with the plane at gross for several years in SoCal. Low numerical pitch prop, dial the timing back a bit and it helps to have the prop in very good balance, and no nicks. You need to get that prop spinning like the dickens to produce good thrust. I won't get in one that has the 57 or 56" pitch prop. 54" is marginal.

Yep, mine is at 54" and I would not want it any higher. Mine also is the AA1A which is better than the straight AA1 from the perspective of the wing being more forgiving.

I got my PPL in an AA-1C and 1B. The Grumman trainers are great little planes. If your looking at a 2 seater the Grummans beat the tar out of the 150s IMHO. You have a very nice looking plane there!

I got my PPL in an AA-1C and 1B. The Grumman trainers are great little planes. If your looking at a 2 seater the Grummans beat the tar out of the 150s IMHO. You have a very nice looking plane there!

Thanks Adam. The cabin is definitely more comfortable and the plane is a much better platform for those to learn on that intend to move into more advanced aircraft. The 152 is better suited to a flight school having multiple CFIs and airplanes as you almost have to purposely crash one.

I learned in a 152 and looking back wished I would have learned in a plane like this as this plane demands that you and your instructor pay attention when you learn fly it. Once you get proficient at flying the AA1A it is like a helicopter - it just becomes a part of you as natural as is far more fun to fly and definitely more comfortable.

Man what a beautiful airplane. Exactly what I would be looking for as a time builder if the 19k wasn't going to college... I guess education is important too:dunno::wink2:

Hi guys. I changed the price to reflect eBay. I will still honor the original price unless it crosses that amount on eBay at which time the high bid amount will be the sale price. If you want the plane (not thinking about it, asking permission from your neighbor's wife, etc) let me know and I will end it early. Thanks!

Also, check out my "Air Horse" tug for sale. If you have a large plane or multiple planes there is nothing better!

4 hours left - congratulations on all the interest - and I'm sure whomever of us wins will be very happy!

Back