1969 Piper Aztec D for Sale

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
The Aztec is done with annual, and is now officially for sale. If you or anyone is interested, please let me know here or send me a PM. Here's the narrative:

For sale is my 1969 Piper Aztec. I have owned this plane for about 3.5 years and 900 hours of flight time. I have taken it to California, St. John's Newfoundland, northern Quebec, and Cozumel Mexico in that time period. It's a great airplane that has served me well, but it no longer fits our needs and thus it is time to let it move on to its next owner.

In the time I have owned it, I have replaced a multitude of parts and paid attention to details to make sure it is in good operating condition. Some of the significant items I've replaced includes all 3 tail boots (within the past 18 months), the pitot tube (this is expensive on these planes), rebuilt the landing gear, new engine baffles, new and upgraded engine mount on the right engine, fuel caps, fixed the Janitrol (it works perfectly), and a host of other repairs. I wanted the plane to operate properly, and thus I didn't take "Oh they all do that" for an answer on items that were important, like the Janitrol heater.

The plane is equipped with an extra baggage STC that extends the rear baggage area approximately 3 ft. This is a great upgrade that allows you even more baggage room from the already generous baggage area. You can fit 6 people in the passenger area, and probably could fit 6 sets of golf clubs in the back with this upgrade. You could also fit your skis in, which was the motivation for the person who made the STC.

The avionics on this plane are rock solid. When I had the plane taken in for the GPS and Nav 1 upgrade, they went through and did a number of other repairs on the wiring. The avionics and electrical system haven't given me any problems since and work flawlessly.

Avionics list is as follows:

KLN94 - IFR GPS
KX155A - Nav/Com 1
MX170 - Nav/Com 2
GMA340 Audio Panel
GTX327 Transponder
RCA green/black radar - I'm not sure the exact model, but it works well to about 40 nm. I've used it a great deal!
HSI
Altimatic IIIB autopilot (the pitch portions don't function)
Insight Gemini 1200 Engine Monitor (several EGT probes are non-functional, but all CHTs are - on these engines, the CHTs are what really matter)

Engines are Lycoming IO-540-C4B5s - L/R 1100/2100 hours (approximately)
Left engine had a top overhaul with factory Lycoming cylinders at approximately 650 SMOH. The right engine had new rings on one cylinder this past annual - all compressions are great. Right engine is not making metal and is running great. I had planned on overhauling it around 2500 SMOH.

Props are Hartzells. They are both right around 1300 SPOH. I have replaced several (if not all four) of the prop boots on them. Props and governors work flawlessly. The props do have several dings on them from gravel strip flying that have been dressed properly. I have made sure that they are within the Hartzell specified limits, and they are.

Airframe total time is ~10,000 hours.

The exterior is about a 5. The paint is old and is chipping in some areas. It could use a good paint job. To be honest, this is the first thing I would put money into.

The interior is about a 7-8. The 2nd and 3rd row seats are about perfect on the plane - they were barely used under my ownership! Front seats are in good condition as well. The interior does show some age, but is still in good condition for a plane of this vintage. Interior was redone about 10 years ago.

The first 20 years of logbooks are missing.

I won't call the plane a perfect example or flawless. It is a working plane and has worked hard for me. It is extremely forgiving and handles ice very well. It was my first plane, and would make a great first plane (or first twin) for someone looking to learn from what it has to teach. I always felt that it taught me from its years of experience. With a roomy and comfy, 6-seat interior and lots of baggage room, it is a great family airplane with the capability to get you through pretty much anything you ask of it.

I have run the engines LOP since I bought the plane, and always kept the heads below 380F except when impractical due to conditions. Typically this meant LOP, half flaps. 21 GPH combined @ 155 KTAS. Some variation, of course, but that's what I've found the plane does. Surprisingly efficient.

Asking price is $50,000. This is negotiable somewhat, depending on what you want.
Yes, this is the plane that has done most Cloud Nine missions. No, the plane does not smell like dog.

Annual was completed 5/12. Fresh!

Edit: Pictures added.
Edit 7/3: Price reduced. We are moving, and don't want to move the plane with us. I won't have much time to do any sort of transition training (although would do my best). I will deliver it still if the buyer pays fuel and my return trip.

Attachments

• DSC_2431.JPG
    DSC_2431.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_2432.JPG
    DSC_2432.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_2433.JPG
    DSC_2433.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_2434.JPG
    DSC_2434.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_2436.JPG
    DSC_2436.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_2437.JPG
    DSC_2437.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_2438.JPG
    DSC_2438.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_2439.JPG
    DSC_2439.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_2440.JPG
    DSC_2440.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_2441.JPG
    DSC_2441.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_2442.JPG
    DSC_2442.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
You didn't mention cup holders. Does it have cup holders?

If you want cup holders, buy a Cirrus. And don't forget to pull the parachute. :D

You didn't mention cup holders. Does it have cup holders?

If you offer the asking price, Adam, I will personally install a matching set of deluxe model cup holders.

If you offer the asking price, Adam, I will personally install a matching set of deluxe model cup holders.

I know you're thinking of this...

sku_43877_1.jpg

That would make installation simple! :D

Maybe it's disappointingly amazing? It is an Aztruck, afterall...:wink2:

With that said, if I was in the market for a twin, I'd consider yours. I'm sure it's been cared for properly in the time you've owned it.

With that said, if I was in the market for a twin, I'd consider yours. I'm sure it's been cared for properly in the time you've owned it.

Thank you. As I said, it's not perfect, it is a working plane. But because of that, it's been important to keep the parts that make it flying in working order. Yeah, cosmetics took a backseat. Things like the engines, all other mechanics, de-ice and radar did not.

Last edited:
Guys -- there is no secret conspiracy here -- the MC is creating new policy regarding classifieds and we will treat all classifieds fairly and evenly. We've scheduled a conference call for Monday to discuss this in detail. In the mean time you're just going to have to relax a bit, go drink a margarita or something, and standby for more information.

Please keep conversation positive in this thread -- if you cannot do that -- then don't post.

Pictures added. Check them out!

Guys -- there is no secret conspiracy here -- the MC is creating new policy regarding classifieds and we will treat all classifieds fairly and evenly. We've scheduled a conference call for Monday to discuss this in detail. In the mean time you're just going to have to relax a bit, go drink a margarita or something, and standby for more information.

Please keep conversation positive in this thread -- if you cannot do that -- then don't post.
Jesse, PM received and replied to. Thanks.

Bump, still for sale. See above for edits.

Any luck with the Ebay auction?

A few people from the eBay auction contacted me and were interested. I've got a couple of locals interested, as well. Of course, I've pointed out that with my impending move, it would be more logical to complete the transaction while it's here. Whether or not they'll go for it is another matter.

I've given the FBO my 30 days notice, so the plane will need to be out of there by the end of the month. I figure worst case, I'll move it to Ohio and keep on working to sell it out there. Or perhaps find another use for it out there - it would make a great multi trainer if one of the airports wanted to buy it for that. I wouldn't mind doing a leaseback for training, either, provided that the terms were appropriate.

A few people from the eBay auction contacted me and were interested. I've got a couple of locals interested, as well. Of course, I've pointed out that with my impending move, it would be more logical to complete the transaction while it's here. Whether or not they'll go for it is another matter.

I've given the FBO my 30 days notice, so the plane will need to be out of there by the end of the month. I figure worst case, I'll move it to Ohio and keep on working to sell it out there. Or perhaps find another use for it out there - it would make a great multi trainer if one of the airports wanted to buy it for that. I wouldn't mind doing a leaseback for training, either, provided that the terms were appropriate.

You might be able to interest someone at Lunkin or Clermont County (home of Sportys!). Both have pretty active flight schools.

...and it's not like you have to convince Sporty to like Aztecs...

Man.. Had to buy *blah* airline tickets *blah* for the trip this weekend. By the time we would have flown both the -10 and the -7A to Texas (needed seats to carry everyone), Airtran was really close to being break-even on fuel costs alone. :(

If only we had a 6-seater that could fit everyone... And if only we hadn't bought a house last week... ;)

Man.. Had to buy *blah* airline tickets *blah* for the trip this weekend. By the time we would have flown both the -10 and the -7A to Texas (needed seats to carry everyone), Airtran was really close to being break-even on fuel costs alone. :(

If only we had a 6-seater that could fit everyone... And if only we hadn't bought a house last week... ;)

Congrats on the new place. Pictures or it didn't happen.

You can sleep in your plane, but you can't fly your house. ;)

You might be able to interest someone at Lunkin or Clermont County (home of Sportys!). Both have pretty active flight schools.

Truth, not that we need the competition.:wink2:
Currently I know of multi training at three of the local airports.

Truth, not that we need the competition.:wink2:
Currently I know of multi training at three of the local airports.

Too bad y'all don't want to buy it. I'd make you a good deal. :)

I'll tell Laurie that her house hunt is over, then. ;) :D :D

Given how our housing search is going, that may not be the worst idea in the world... :(

Laurie is not just a woman- she is a Pilot! She can endure almost anything.

If I had the disposable cash I'd buy that off you and learn in that aircraft.

That is really what it would be best suited for - someone who needs a good, capable multi-engine plane to learn in. Makes a great stepping stone, and is also great if your trips are on the shorter side.

Like, say, Minneapolis to St. Paul?:rofl:

Nah, I did LA to NYC just fine. The Chihuahuas even enjoyed the trip. ;)

You can't find a house in Cincinnati? I never saw a city with so many beautiful neighborhoods in my life.

We found one. The hard part is finding what we want, but we managed.

Ahh, nothing like moving back to a place like where you grew up.:wink2:

20 years was enough. You city-slicker folks can have it. As for me, I'll stick to country living. ;)

Back