1969 Pa28-180d

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'm looking at a Comanche, and of course I don't need two planes. So I'm selling mine.

O360-A3A 600 SMOH
Compressions 76+ in 06 annual
McCauley Prop (No AD or RPM restrictions)
The only recurring AD is the Bendix Mag 500 hour (which has about 200 Since OH)

ELT battery good until '10
Annual Good through 3/08
IFR certified through 6/08

New Avionics: (Redone '04)
Garmin 340 Audio Panel
Garmin 430 IFR GPS
Dual Glide Slopes (KI-106 + Narco 12x)
New Marker Beacons
4 audio jacks
Pilot side PTT

New ICOM IC-A200 ('06)
New Altimeter ('04)
16 Channel Engine Analyzer w/ Carb temp and OAT probes ('05)
Digital Tachometer ('05)
Airpseed indicator ('06)

Interior Redone '03
Paint: 8
New Tires '04

$53,500

Last edited:
Nice plane, Ed!

Two quick questions (as a '70 180E owner):

1. How much did it run you for the 430 installation? I thought about it earlier this year, and backed off. It sure looks nice in your panel, though!

2. Do you notice any performance difference without the wheel pants? I'm really tired of having to unbolt them to check the tire pressure, and if the performance loss isn't significant would consider removing them.

Dan

Nice plane, Ed!

Thanks

Two quick questions (as a '70 180E owner):

1. How much did it run you for the 430 installation? I thought about it earlier this year, and backed off. It sure looks nice in your panel, though!

When I did the panel, I had the following done:
Removed:
II Morrow 820 GPS and Antenna
KI-205 Indicator
KX-145 Nav/Com
King ADF

Rewired EVERYTHING behind the panel
Installed:
Marker beacon antenna
Installed 340
Installed 430
Installed 106 VOR/GS Head
3 additional headphone jacks
Pilot Side PTT

That ran me ~ $13,000

This year I also installed a 16 channel engine analyzer (overkill I know) and a digital tachometer

2. Do you notice any performance difference without the wheel pants? I'm really tired of having to unbolt them to check the tire pressure, and if the performance loss isn't significant would consider removing them.

I never had wheel pants on it. I consistantly get 117-120 TAS between 6,000 and 10,000 @75%

Last edited:
N2212R said:
I never had wheel pants on it. I consistantly get 117-120 TAS between 6,000 and 10,000 @75%

Thanks for the info. I may get a couple of knots more, but not much. It may be worthwhile taking them off. I've thought about some of the replacement wheel pants (Lopresti, etc.), but I'm not sure it's worth the money.

Dan

N2212R said:
Pictures here:
http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/2212R/

Why do you think she'd get me?

It's not a Citabra but...

Drool... Drool... Drool... will you take a $20? ;)

Hum, seriously I've got a freind that just got her licence and was talking about getting an inexpensive IFR capable plane. She's was looking at Gruman Yankee's, until I floated the idea of seeing about doing a partner thing, then she wanted a Traveler. Maybe I can talk her into a 180...

Are you bringing it to Sandusky on Sat? Maybe I should bug her agian about accompanying me to Sandusky.... then I can pretend that I may give into this bug that has me wanting to buy a plane.

Missa

Missa said:
It's not a Citabra but...

Drool... Drool... Drool... will you take a $20? ;)

Hum, seriously I've got a freind that just got her licence and was talking about getting an inexpensive IFR capable plane. She's was looking at Gruman Yankee's, until I floated the idea of seeing about doing a partner thing, then she wanted a Traveler. Maybe I can talk her into a 180...

Well if she's considering Yankees and Travellers and wants to go 180HP we're talking Tiger not Cherokee.

Sorry Ed. Nice plane anyway. :)

Anthony said:
Well if she's considering Yankees and Travellers and wants to go 180HP we're talking Tiger not Cherokee.

Sorry Ed. Nice plane anyway. :)

Hey Anthony? Hows that <2000' grass field performance with that Tiger?
I can do it. Can you?

Missa - you do like landing on your little slices of heaven right?

I'm planning on Sandusky on the 1st unless something comes up.

Brian Austin said:
How TTAF hours?

Was used as an air taxi when it lived in Alaska in its youth. Was even fitted for skis!

Eyewitness testimony: nice plane!

Ok,

Old bump, but $53,500 is the asking price.
Additions since original posting:

Pitot Heat
New Airspeed indicator ('06)
Engine Analyzer has EGT and CHT on all 4 cylinders.
And I've put on another 200 hours.

got the alternate static hooked up yet?

Sorry Ed, but the Free Bird comes close to that on 160 ponies. You should put the pants back on.

By the way this thread is useless without pictures.

Pants are on now and I get 123kts. I didn't have pants when I posted the ad originally. Forgot I put those on too. 20hp never gets you much more in cruise, but makes a huge difference in T/O performance.

When I did the panel, I had the following done:
Removed:
II Morrow 820 GPS and Antenna
KI-205 Indicator
KX-145 Nav/Com
King ADF

Rewired EVERYTHING behind the panel
Installed:
Marker beacon antenna
Installed 340
Installed 430
Installed 106 VOR/GS Head
3 additional headphone jacks
Pilot Side PTT

That ran me ~ $13,000

This year I also installed a 16 channel engine analyzer (overkill I know) and a digital tachometer

Why 16 channels for 4 cylinders? You mean it tracks 16 parameters? I guess my JPI-EDM900 tracks 24+ channels on 6 cylinders?

What avionics shop did you use? I would have guessed that the 430 et al would costs a lot more.

4 EGT
4 EGT
1 OAT
1 Carb Temp

Yeah, I have 6 unused channels. The Avionics shop was Hillview in Muskegon.

4 EGT
4 EGT
1 OAT
1 Carb Temp

Yeah, I have 6 unused channels. The Avionics shop was Hillview in Muskegon.

K.

I have:

6 EGT
6 CHT
MP
RPM
HP (derived)
1 QAT
1 CARB TEMP
Bus voltage (You have that, too)
====
17 top of head

Pants are on now and I get 123kts. I didn't have pants when I posted the ad originally. Forgot I put those on too. 20hp never gets you much more in cruise, but makes a huge difference in T/O performance.

I've read that with airframe mods the 20hp can actually make a big difference in cruise speed for Cherokees. it certainly did with mine. Unfortunately I've also read that its $1k/knot. Still, your panel makes it totally worth it, if it looks nice, which we wouldn't know since you forgot the photographs.

I don't have pics of the interior, but here's what I do have

Attachments

• leftfront.jpg
    leftfront.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 35
  • rightside2.jpg
    rightside2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 32
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 49
  • panel1.JPG
    panel1.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 59
  • panel2.JPG
    panel2.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 34
  • panel4.JPG
    panel4.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 47
nice shot of 12R at 6Y9

DSC01702.JPG

Can we guess that Ed's only getting the Comanche to drive Kent nuts?

Somebody's gonna get a nice Cherokee.

Having flown with Ed in this plane, I can vouch for its quality.

Can we guess that Ed's only getting the Comanche to drive Kent nuts?

Hahaha! I think Ed's got his sights on an M20F these days... As I would if I had more money to play with.

We'll see, I may well be bringing my Comanche 250 to Gaston's... :D

You sir, are selling my dream plane (at least at the moment).

Unfortunately, I sold my last plane to go to grad school, and until I get out . . .

Sigh,

~ Christopher

When are you closing the deal on the new plane Ed and when do we get to see some pics?

I put the kay-bosh on the last Comanche. Was more that probably needed to be done to it than originally disclosed.

Back