1969 PA-28-180 Autopilot

francisco collazos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ciscovet
Thanks for your help in advance.. I rent a cherokee from the local flight school and they have just fixed the autopilot that came with the plane. I'm at work so don't have the access to the POH. I was curious to what type and model of AP does this plane have. From what I can remember it is definitely not new. Does anyone have any info on this AP? Where there multiple ones that were added to the plane or a solitary one. Also if you have any tips, i'd appreciate it. I've heard that AP can cause more problems than they solve and don't want to be up there pushing buttons.

Perhaps you could take a good selection of pictures of the panel?
"Cherokee" covers so many versions of the aircraft across a number of years such that absent additional information, this would be a pointless guessing game.
You may want to consider taking a CFI up with you so as to help you learn and practice with the new equipment. Potentially that could be a lifesaver.

Not new doesn't mean original equipment. No way to know without looking at it.

OK here's a picture of it just below the transponder

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209-095321_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209-095321_Video Player.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 48
I’d skim the manual, then try the A/P during cruise flight. Just see if it maintains wings-level. Of course be familiar with a few ways to turn it off & remove power should the need arise.

I’d not expect a whole lot from an older A/P. Then over the years with piecemeal avionics upgrades, may not be integrated all that much. At least that’s how mine ended up, kinda keeps the wings level while using the onboard facilities.

Back