1964 - '65 Cessna 206 Gross Weigh / Useful Load Question

Thaddius

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Thaddius
Hi all!

Long time follower first time poster. I am about to purchase a 1964 Cessna 206. Does anyone know why the Max Gross Weight is 300 lower in the '64 and 65' models compared with the 1966 and newer? Is the true useful load capability the same in the '64 and '65 as in the later models or is there a reason they are rated lower?

Thank you,
Thaddius

Did the 66 get a bigger engine, or a change in wing design?

What engine is in the 64? Wondering if they stepped up to the 520 in 66

What engine is in the 64? Wondering if they stepped up to the 520 in 66
the 1964 has the IO-520. They increased the rated horsepower in '66 IO-520 from 285hp to 300hp by increasing the allowed RPM for a 5 min period on take off. It would surprise me if this really gave it the increased increased gross weight load by 300lbs though.

I know that power available affects performance, especially where acceleration, takeoff, and climb is concerned. Since the added HP does not add any weight, then the airframe would exceed their engineer's minimum acceptable takeoff performace standards. Adding some weight brings the airframe back to the same minimum standards during takeoff. This would have been a production change possibly requested by the sales department to make the airframe more competitive in the market place or to meet some customer's request for higher payload. The only way to know for sure is to ask the people involved at the time. I say be glad they did that and got the change approved by the FAA.

Back