For Sale: Aircraft 1963 Cessna 172D, clean with many upgrades

Stan Cooper

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Stan Cooper
I'm selling a friend's 1963 172D for him. I owned the airplane for several years and sold it to him in 2006 when I decided to let my medical lapse and fly as a sport pilot. The owner is a retired UAL 747-400 captain who has recently lost his medical. I've listed it on Trade-A-Plane, and details are in the listing at https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?listing_id=2314993.

N2686U is based at Oakland International Airport (KOAK). Seller prefers local Northern California sale.

Thanks for looking.

N2686U_zpssyfdfdyy.jpg

NewPanelJan05med.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, sadly. At 79 he's had a good run though.

Indeed.

I am slightly curious about the preference for a sale in Northern California. I've got mine up for sale and, as long as I get paid in good funds, they can load the bird into a container and ship `er to Far West Goofystan.

Indeed.

I am slightly curious about the preference for a sale in Northern California. I've got mine up for sale and, as long as I get paid in good funds, they can load the bird into a container and ship `er to Far West Goofystan.

Was curious also but maybe he’s hoping for an occasional ride from the new owner?

I think it's just that he wants to avoid potential gotchas with long distance transactions, although he made it clear that while a local buyer is his preference, he'll sell it to anybody that comes up with the cash.

The owner, BTW, is a prince of a man deeply rooted in general aviation. He is a CFII and has given me several of my flight reviews over the years.
Ralphs%20Certificates_zps313r4h6v.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is one of the best 172D's I've ever seen. Unlike most, I love the O-300 172 models. If this were closer to year-end timing I would strongly consider it.

Thanks. It's undergoing an annual inspection now, and assuming there are no show-stoppers it is sold.

This is in no way meant to impune the aircraft for sale, which looks like it is in immaculate condition and which I am certain will fetch it’s asking price. I am just always amused at what folks will pay for a Skyhawk. The example in this thread is slower than my aircraft, burns as much or more fuel, and is about as old. The asking price, which I am certain the aircraft will get, is more than I paid for my aircraft. It does boast a much nicer panel, though.

Like I said, nothing whatsoever against the aircraft for sale, if anything the seller isn’t asking enough. I am just amused what Skyhawks go for.

Last edited:
This is in no way meant to impute the aircraft for sale, which looks like it is in immaculate condition and which I am certain will fetch it’s asking price. I am just always amused at what folks will pay for a Skyhawk. The example in this thread is slower than my aircraft, burns as much or more fuel, and is about as old. The asking price, which I am certain the aircraft will get, is more than I paid for my aircraft. It does boast a much nicer panel, though.

Like I said, nothing whatsoever against the aircraft for sale, if anything the seller isn’t asking enough. I am just amused what Skyhawks go for.

Agreed, there is a lot of capability left on the table when looking at 50k 172 models, but for some the 172 is perfect for their needs so they find the best example they can within their budget. What do you have?

The buyer wanted a pre-purchase inspection, so after our familiarization flight on Sunday we dropped the plane off at Trade Winds Aviation, a Cessna dealer and repair station where the inspection took place yesterday and today. Two minor squawks will be fixed this week.

It's sold at the asking price.

Congratulations. Happiest day of an aircraft owner’s life. And I am unsurprised you got your asking price.

Someone is going to enjoy this. The seller probably could have gotten a couple of k more, he probably doesn't care much that he didn't.

An update from Jamey, the new owner. He just upgraded the panel.

"After 4 weeks in the shop, 86U now has:

GTN 650 GPS

Dual G5s (flush mounted)

GTX 345 transponder

I also recently had them put the FP5-L fuel flow monitor, which interfaces with the GPS for fuel at destination, since I was pushing the fuel limits on some of my longer single-leg flights."

Jameys%20New%20Panel%203-24-2019%20med_zps2olwryrm.jpg

Thanks; I think so too. This transaction was one of the most satisfying I've ever had. The buyer really loves the airplane.

Last edited:
Back