1962 182E Landing Light Replacement

rachelk.tailwinds

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rachel
I'm looking to upgrade to order an LED landing light today...

It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with what Whelen has to offer so I'll probably go with them but I am unsure about which one will work in my airplane. 12-14 volt or 28 volt? Does anyone know off the top of their head? I won't be able to get out to my airplane for a few days to check and I'm afraid I just can't remember.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Probably something you should know, especially if someone ever goes to hook a GPU up for a jump or something.

I agree for sure about needing to know, but wouldn't it likely be a 14v based on the year?

I'd wager you're right, for the skywagons is was changed to 24v in 78' I believe.

you will need to know if it's PAR36 or 46. it is par 46 for my mooney. The 36 and 46 are sizes; 4 1/2" vs 5 3/4" or something similar.

Probably something you should know, especially if someone ever goes to hook a GPU up for a jump or something.

Oh boy here we go again... If I'm going to need a GPU, I'll be with the airplane and will be able to look in the POH. I'm not with her right now so I don't have my POH.

Most of the time, you don't need to memorize the answer, you just need to know where to find it: Exhibit A right here.

Last edited:
you will need to know if it's PAR36 or 46. it is par 46 for my mooney. The 36 and 46 are sizes; 4 1/2" vs 5 3/4" or something similar.

36 sounds familiar but I can't say for certain. Is that somewhere in the POH or where else can I find it?

Haha well if I'm going to need a GPU, I'll be with the airplane and will be able to look in the POH. I'm not with her right now so I don't have my POH.

Most of the time, you don't need to memorize the answer, you just need to know where to find it: Exhibit A right here.

Indeed.

Knowing your capacities, fuel and oil types, battery volts and amps, stuff like that are good memory items.

Sorry for the derail
I'd wager a beer you're looking at a 12v system and the smaller PAR36 bulb

Do you have a parts or service manual for the plane?

36 sounds familiar but I can't say for certain. Is that somewhere in the POH or where else can I find it?

Just pull your old bulb and cross check it with whelens chart.

image.jpg

Might also want to check your alignment while you're in there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed.

Knowing your capacities, fuel and oil types, battery volts and amps, stuff like that are good memory items.

Sorry for the derail
I'd wager a beer you're looking at a 12v system and the smaller PAR36 bulb

Do you have a parts or service manual for the plane?

That's what I'm thinking. Problem is, I won't be able to make it to the hangar for a few days; which is where the parts catalog, service manual, and existing bulb is.

I think I'll go with the 12v PAR36 and if it's not right, I'll just exchange it for a different one. Thanks for your help!

My 66 182J is a PAR36, 14V so I would guess you're the same.

Also, if you install your new LED(s) and they don't work, reverse the wires on the bulb. They won't work with reversed polarity.

My 1976 172M is 14V par46 (and I accidentally bought a 36 at OSH, but sold it to a friend)... I'm not sure if it's true universally, but I've come to notice that single cowl lights on Cessnas seem to be 46 whereas dual lights in the cowl are 36.

My 66 182J is a PAR36, 14V so I would guess you're the same.

Also, if you install your new LED(s) and they don't work, reverse the wires on the bulb. They won't work with reversed polarity.

The Teledyne Alphabeams are a tad more expensive, but are non-polarity specific. Drop it in & go FWIW.

Back