Dayron Nunez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dayron N.
Hi guys

I'm trying to find out which oil should I use for a 1957 Cessna 172 with a Continental O300, I've not being able to find specific info for this online or in the manual, the aircraft manual only talk about SAE50 recommended but it doesn't say much more (or I'm looking the wrong place)

A friend told me to use the Aeroshell 100 but I went online and there is 100 or W100, for my little research I understand one of them is mineral and the other is not, but still not clear which one should this engine use.

Any help is much appreciated.

100 weight oil is the equivalent of SAE50. Both oils you mentioned are mineral oil, IIRC. The W100 oils incorporate "ashes dispersants" to help remove contaminants. The other is pure mineral oil. Keep googling!

Aeroshell W100 in the summer & W80 in the winter or Phillips XC 20/50 year round if you prefer. Personally, I like the straight weights.

I have a 56 and use the phillips xc 20w 50.

Do not use AERO shell in a 0-300. It has way too many additives in it for an engine that was designed for plane old mineral oil.

I recommend Phillips XC20W50 and get a spin on filter on it.

Here is another biggie for ya,, be certain to raise the nose when you drain the oil. The front sump does not drain well because the engine sets a little nose down.
this causes the water in the sump, to always stay in the sump. and it will corroded the magnesium until the sump leaks.

Attachments

• Sump interior.JPG
    Sump interior.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
Phillips 20W50 XC and Avblend (helps keep valves clean). Consider adding Camguard if the plane doesn't fly regularly, pricey but worth it IMO. Also second Toms recommendation on a oil filter if one is not already installed. Cut the filter at each oil change and inspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The multi-visc oils will hold viscosity a little better as the oil temperature increases although oil temperature should not be a problem in a well maintained 172. The single viscosity spec oils are a little cheaper. The engine generally won't know the difference between the oils except there will be a little more oil flow for cold starts with the multi-visc oil. Oil flow is a good thing because keeping oil moving to the bearings is what protects them.

Back