1957 172 tail wheel converted

Part it out and gimme them doors if they'll fit a skywagon.

I'll give you a hundred bucks and pay freight.

I don't know if they would or not ,,,,, any one ??
5k each and you can fly them home, save the freight :)

I don't know if they would or not ,,,,, any one ??
5k each and you can fly them home, save the freight :)

I think he was joking but...I seriously doubt it. My 57 172 doors were significantly different than my 58 182 doors are. Well, maybe not dimensions of the doors themselves, but the handles, latches and hinges, weren't even close to the same. And I gotta think a 180 would resemble a 182 not a 172.

Based on how long it sat and the fact the owner cant figure out what it's worth.

Im a buyer for $1,200

Wentworth is a buyer at a lot more than that.

Yeah, I don't have their infrastructure to part the plane out, and I'll need to spend $20k to turn it into a plane again. I'm not going to have more into the plane than I can sell it for again. As with most planes, it's worth more as salvage than as a plane.

Yeah, I don't have their infrastructure to part the plane out, and I'll need to spend $20k to turn it into a plane again. I'm not going to have more into the plane than I can sell it for again. As with most planes, it's worth more as salvage than as a plane.

I thought you could do anything, with nothing.

I thought you could do anything, with nothing.

It takes money to turn a neglected hulk into a useful airplane, then this one will have a very limited resale market, even you don't like it as a tailwheel plane. The only real market for it will be as a rental for doing t/w endorsements, and even that will be limited because most people would opt for the Citabrias so they can do some aerobatics. The only way it's worth money right now is as salvage.

It takes money to turn a neglected hulk into a useful airplane, then this one will have a very limited resale market, even you don't like it as a tailwheel plane. The only real market for it will be as a rental for doing t/w endorsements, and even that will be limited because most people would opt for the Citabrias so they can do some aerobatics. The only way it's worth money right now is as salvage.

about 4 hours puts it back on its nose wheel, and some sweat makes it a fly as you restore project.

about 4 hours puts it back on its nose wheel, and some sweat makes it a fly as you restore project.

4 hours and parts unless they come with it, plus radios, plus an engine overhaul, instrument overhauls, a hangar to do the work in.... It's gonna take me $20k to make it into a $22k airplane. People won't pay for quality, I already know that, I have a premium quality glass panel 310 that people only want to pay below salvage value for.

4 hours and parts unless they come with it, plus radios, plus an engine overhaul, instrument overhauls, a hangar to do the work in.... It's gonna take me $20k to make it into a $22k airplane. People won't pay for quality, I already know that, I have a premium quality glass panel 310 that people only want to pay below salvage value for.

I wouldn't count that engine dead yet.
All the instruments work.
VFR radio com. is 400 bucks.
Hangar ? really? lots of this country stays pretty warm.

No worries, no one is going to fly this away anytime soon, it is November in the great northwest.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count that engine dead yet.
All the instruments work.
VFR radio com. is 400 bucks.
Hangar ? really? lots of this country stays pretty warm.

No worries, no one is going to fly this away anytime soon, it is November in the great northwest.

Yeah hangar, hard to work in the rain and the sun gets pretty blistering. I'd be able to get it out of there any time of year, I'll just fly down the coast and head east from SoCal.

Yeah hangar, hard to work in the rain and the sun gets pretty blistering. I'd be able to get it out of there any time of year, I'll just fly down the coast and head east from SoCal.

You first must get out of puget Sound, and then go out around Cape Mendocino Ca. with an aircraft that is on a ferry permit.

Not Smart.

You first must get out of puget Sound, and then go out around Cape Mendocino Ca. with an aircraft that is on a ferry permit.

Not Smart.

Been up and down the coast many times, I have my routes that work well, rarely get delayed more than a day or so enroute, typically a few hours. Tis the life of a utility pilot, get the freakin job done.

Been up and down the coast many times, I have my routes that work well, rarely get delayed more than a day or so enroute, typically a few hours. Tis the life of a utility pilot, get the freakin job done.

I've been out there too, That isn't some thing I'd do in any aircraft that is fresh out of 30 years in storage.

OBTW you forgot to tell us how to get out of Puget Sound.

Attachments

• N2801 Delivery trip 030.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 030.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 19
  • N2801 Delivery trip 031.jpg
    N2801 Delivery trip 031.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I've been out there too, That isn't some thing I'd do in any aircraft that is fresh out of 30 years in storage.

OBTW you forgot to tell us how to get out of Puget Sound.

Depends on the weather at the moment, might have to go around the Olympic peninsula, might be able to go down through the east side of it staying in the valleys and passes.

I'd buy it if the import paperwork and hassles here weren't so expensive and time-consuming.

Dan (Canada)

I'd buy it if the import paperwork and hassles here weren't so expensive and time-consuming.

Dan (Canada)
Import it as parts. we can take it apart.

I talked to the owner today, he is not ready to give up on his dream.:confused:

Back