1950s roadsters

When I owned my MG, I used to have to wade any puddle that might have been over ankle deep... Driving thru >3" would stop her cold.... Lucas electrics... Hard to believe the could drive them at all in their native environs...

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

I bought an MG TD for right at $25K, before I had it converted to wire wheels. Nice driver, not a show car. Unfortunately major back fusion means I can't easily get in, and my wife (for whom I bought it) doesn't like the lack of power brakes. So it mostly sits. Really need to sell it, but I hate to. I put my Citabria up for sale because I couldn't get in... then I could.

Definitely not an interstate car though.

If you have a older British car you will drive yourself nuts looking to fix that oil leak. Those are self-lubricating engines. Like radial engines, they only stop leaking when they're out of oil. And running poorly? Isn't that their normal mode? :p
It’s called British rust proofing - covering exposed areas in oil.

The series A engine in my Sprite has what is essentially a felt donut for rear oil seal...so of course she marks her territory.

I bought an MG TD for right at $25K, before I had it converted to wire wheels. Nice driver, not a show car. Unfortunately major back fusion means I can't easily get in, and my wife (for whom I bought it) doesn't like the lack of power brakes. So it mostly sits. Really need to sell it, but I hate to. I put my Citabria up for sale because I couldn't get in... then I could.

Definitely not an interstate car though.

Had a friend who had a similar TF - the license plate was DAYVFR :D

To the OP re/ a sleeper suggestion for car #2...an '89-92 Volvo 240. Hear me out.. I know it's not American, but it is...

1. Very dependable with a bulletproof engine. 300k is young.
2. Very simple and easy to wrench.
3. One of the safest cars from that era in terms of crashworthiness.
4. Slow...great for new drivers.
5. Quirky looks that appeal to those who desire a vehicle that doesn't look like every other ToyoSubaNissaForChevKiaHyun compact on the road.

We bought and renovated two 240s for our sons when they needed their first car for college internship programs. They both loved them and kept them for many years, even when they (the sons, not the cars) got to the point they could have easily afforded something "better."

Just an idea. As a previous owner of two early 70s Fiat Spiders, 80s VW Rabbit convertible, current owner of an 80s Benz roadster, and occasional driver of MGs, Triumphs, I heartily endorse the previous recommendations for a Miata unless you really don't mind spending a LOT of dough. Miatas are a blast to drive, ridiculously reliable, and cheap. If you like to drive more than you like to wrench, get a Miata. If you like them both equally, then a lot of the cars you mentioned would be a lot of fun.

Back