195 down

Looks like an outstanding job putting it down intact on that narrow road!

Glad no serious injuries.

Indeed! Great job, walked away from it. Gear on 195 is very tender. Jake engine, old, could be anything! had to shut mine down in the pattern when the prop gov. Failed. Lucky, no damage.

Yea, I've flown with him several times. Definitely the best pilot I know

Wow. When I read "plane down", I was afraid this was another crash fatality.
Glad this one turned out well! I know, 1 good news for a dozen bad news. But at least something positive.

Wow. When I read "plane down", I was afraid this was another crash fatality.
Glad this one turned out well! I know, 1 good news for a dozen bad news. But at least something positive.

Actually when you sift through the NTSB records you'll see the proportion is the other way around. Far more non fatal than fatal GA incidents and accidents.

Gear on 195 is very tender.

I don't know what leads you to believe that. They are the same design as all the other early 120/140/170/172/180/182/185. gear box and spring gear.

They can be ripped off, but it ain't easy.

I know them as well. He did a great job putting it down. His kid is really upset because he loved that plane!

I don't know what leads you to believe that. They are the same design as all the other early 120/140/170/172/180/182/185. gear box and spring gear.

So what was the justification behind the P-ponk gear?

If the gear is just fine as-is, why would there be an upgrade to 'beef up' the gear?

So what was the justification behind the P-ponk gear?

If the gear is just fine as-is, why would there be an upgrade to 'beef up' the gear?
Simply made it more difficult to tear off, but by doing that it will destroy the fuselage.

When the PeePonk mod gets torn out. it virtually tears the flap handle out thru the bottom of the fuselage.

Nothing is unbreakable. but the factory installation is pretty stout.

But some one always has a better idea.

It's easy to replace a plane. You can't replace a life.

I disagree. There are some planes you just can't replace.
A few weeks ago I found out that the E model I flew in SEA for most of my second tour was consigned to the crusher back in '97.
sigh.......

Actually when you sift through the NTSB records you'll see the proportion is the other way around. Far more non fatal than fatal GA incidents and accidents.

Good to know. For the record: I do not sift through NTSB records (too lazy). I only take note of all the crashes that happen these days and are posted here or other forums.

Your response shows you are totally unfamiliar with a 195 and its well known gear box failure which is extremely expensive to repair. Flying a 195 is far different from flying anything else you've named. I've owned three 140s, flown a 180 quite a it. The 195 is very susceptible to side loading , much more so than the others mentioned. They even offered it with a gimbled ger to try and counteract this. All you have to do is look at the airplane head on and the answer is apparent. If you ground loop one, even gentley, it's prone to collapse. Again tom, your wrong.

Your response shows you are totally unfamiliar with a 195 and its well known gear box failure which is extremely expensive to repair. Flying a 195 is far different from flying anything else you've named. I've owned a 195, three 140s, flown a 180 quite a it. The 195 is very susceptible to side loading , much more so than the others mentioned. They even offered it with a gimbled gear to try and counteract this. All you have to do is look at the airplane head on and the answer is apparent. If you ground loop one, even gentley, it's prone to collapse. Again tom, your wrong. I should add here that I watched a delta captain collapse a 195s gear in Cambridge maryland a few years back. He had a 195 on floats and had purchased this one for parts and was flying it home to Maine. A ten mile an hour cross wind, he lost it, ground looped it, gear collapsed. He admitted 90 percent of his 195 time was on floats.

Last edited:
Your response shows you are totally unfamiliar with a 195 and its well known gear box failure which is extremely expensive to repair. Flying a 195 is far different from flying anything else you've named. I've owned three 140s, flown a 180 quite a it. The 195 is very susceptible to side loading , much more so than the others mentioned. They even offered it with a gimbled ger to try and counteract this. All you have to do is look at the airplane head on and the answer is apparent. If you ground loop one, even gentley, it's prone to collapse. Again tom, your wrong.

When flown by new Bee's they are all at risk. It's funny that all of this type gear still exists, speciality when built as weak as you say.

Name one aircraft with a major repair to do, that is cheap.
Your statements simply show how well you can exaggerate.

Simply made it more difficult to tear off, but by doing that it will destroy the fuselage.

When the PeePonk mod gets torn out. it virtually tears the flap handle out thru the bottom of the fuselage.

Nothing is unbreakable. but the factory installation is pretty stout.

But some one always has a better idea.

I suppose that makes sense. I've heard that if you ever ground loop a 170 with the P-Ponk gear, the airframe is toast.

Your response shows you are totally unfamiliar with a 195 and its well known gear box failure which is extremely expensive to repair. Flying a 195 is far different from flying anything else you've named. I've owned a 195, three 140s, flown a 180 quite a it. The 195 is very susceptible to side loading , much more so than the others mentioned. They even offered it with a gimbled gear to try and counteract this. All you have to do is look at the airplane head on and the answer is apparent. If you ground loop one, even gentley, it's prone to collapse. Again tom, your wrong. I should add here that I watched a delta captain collapse a 195s gear in Cambridge maryland a few years back. He had a 195 on floats and had purchased this one for parts and was flying it home to Maine. A ten mile an hour cross wind, he lost it, ground looped it, gear collapsed. He admitted 90 percent of his 195 time was on floats.

Wow! You bought a 195 in between posts?

I suppose that makes sense. I've heard that if you ever ground loop a 170 with the P-Ponk gear, the airframe is toast.

It will stop you from tearing it totally off in many cases, but when you do, bye bye 170.

What the PeePonk mod is designed to do is to stop the gear from folding under the fuselage when you skid it towards the tire, It will do this. So now we have more wing damage than before.
Prior to the mod, the gear leg would go under the fuselage, break the inner end the leg loose and then it was free to come up thru the floor, breaking the legs of the person setting on that side. This mod stops that from happening.

Back