1948 A-35 just acquired

Nice old A model. I've had 2 before. My only complaint on the A was the glacial gear retract cycle. Let me know when you price the STC for the 470 engine swap. I dont mean the materials I mean just the paperwork.

Look for an MV in your prop model id. If it has an MV you dont have the recurring insp AD. I see one piece windscreen and Cleveland brakes. Do you have the evap box AC up in the back wall?

Nice old A model. I've had 2 before. My only complaint on the A was the glacial gear retract cycle. Let me know when you price the STC for the 470 engine swap. I dont mean the materials I mean just the paperwork.

Look for an MV in your prop model id. If it has an MV you dont have the recurring insp AD. I see one piece windscreen and Cleveland brakes. Do you have the evap box AC up in the back wall?

I've long wondered about that, does it require an STC? Don't all the models certify to the same type certificate? I know there is at least on significant change in structure through the run and I think 2. There was the early couple light airframes, and isn't there a change going into the S-Model as well? Are these all different Type Certificates?

The Type cert for the 35-G35 lists the E185 and the E225 as an optional engine. It does not list any other engines so anything else is an STC. I dont think the A and B can do the 520 engine due to the light skins and smaller V tail nut I could be wrong. I only checked the price once and it was nothing I wanted to mess with.

Type cert for the -35 to the g35 is a777. There were a number of mods in 1949 that strengthened the airframe. What I've heard is that you are more likely to pull the wings off a -35 than the tail.

Curios about the stc.. I've heard that an a35 can be upgraded, but not seen one.

(Yea, my gear takes a while to come up. And slowing a -35 down to gear speed - 100MPH - takes some doing.)

Congratulations you lucky bastard! I can't help but be a little jealous of a $5 airplane!! I seriously love the paint job. Please don't change it! Oh yeah, welcome to POA!

attachment.php

Last edited:
The Type cert for the 35-G35 lists the E185 and the E225 as an optional engine. It does not list any other engines so anything else is an STC. I dont think the A and B can do the 520 engine due to the light skins and smaller V tail nut I could be wrong. I only checked the price once and it was nothing I wanted to mess with.

How about the STC that put's the 470 crank and jugs together with the 225 case? I never caught the price but the guy used it for economic reasons over the crank shaft.

I don't think it is possible to use an eseries case to make a 470. Here is one option to upgrade an a35:
http://www.hammockaviation.com/Menuofservices_main_frame_file.htm

(I hear it is possible to use 470 jugs on a 225- but I definitely not an expert there..)

Do realize there are no performance gains.. Best to just save up some cash and upgrade when the prop or engine starts saying it's time...

Thanks guys, yeah I don't think I can change the paint, it's had this paint scheme as long as I can remember, my dad has owned it since 1984, I remember flying in his lap and then being picked up and moved to the back seat.
Still pinch myself every morning, can't believe it's mine.
I prefer the old steam gauges and actually enjoy flying without a GPS or modern avionics, a vor and a sectional works just fine. I will get a GPS, probably a Garmin yoke mount, but I would like to keep this airplane in the condition it is in, keep it clean and hangered, replace parts when necessary...
I do believe there is an STC to hang the 470 in the A model, my dad told me that he got a quote that the total price would be in the 40k range... Since the airplane cost me a whopping 5$, I think I can manage to save the cash..
I do have the prop that requires reoccurring inspection, but keeping it hangered and greasing the prop every oil change and there has never been a hint of a problem.
If I did anything to the paint job, I'd have it reprinted the same way.

Keep it in a hangar and use Collenite 845 Insulator wax on everything, inside and out, that isn't fabric 3-4 times a year and you won't need to paint or change plastics. Best way I found to clean windows too.

If you do the IO-470 conversion, I think only the J&K models will allow the AutoGas STC which is also available for your 225. Unleaded gas will help keep your engine costs down more than anything.

I'll have to checkout that wax... interesting.

My long term goal is a throw back paint job. Most of the early ones came with optional paint. Yea, the magnesium was painted, but that was about it. Unfortunately I'm lazy (and there is a patch on one of the wings that will take some work to "fix") so going with the polished aluminum color isn't happening.

I do understand keeping your bird looking like you remember it from your childhood. But checkout these old pics (and notice the wooden props).

(Oh - and google NX80040 - that one has/had some records.)

Attachments

• 1004546_746392085373582_145984825_n.jpg
    1004546_746392085373582_145984825_n.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 10003363_746392082040249_1693235361_n.jpg
    10003363_746392082040249_1693235361_n.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Wow really digging the yellow and black paint scheme with the aluminum, that's way cool. I have the auto gas stc and have been flying with half 100ll and 87 octane unleaded ethanol free...

I'm nearly 100% 87UL now - I know others that have done that for years, but I'm just chicken I guess. In the tips, I only run 100LL - mostly because I don't use them on short hops and I don't want the pumps and lines to gum up.

By the way, you need to checkout the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. I know the BeechTalk folks have an event there every year, but I even had a Mooney guy from Tennessee tell me I simply must go check it out:
http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/index.php

It's just a couple hour flight for me, but just haven't made it due to work schedule (and goofing off on the internet..)

brian];1604585 said:
I'm nearly 100% 87UL now - I know others that have done that for years, but I'm just chicken I guess. In the tips, I only run 100LL - mostly because I don't use them on short hops and I don't want the pumps and lines to gum up.

By the way, you need to checkout the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. I know the BeechTalk folks have an event there every year, but I even had a Mooney guy from Tennessee tell me I simply must go check it out:
http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/index.php

It's just a couple hour flight for me, but just haven't made it due to work schedule (and goofing off on the internet..)

I was there two weeks ago (the w/e after the annual "Beech Party"). It is a beautiful museum and the way it is designed, the walk-up is gorgeous in the couple of hours after dawn as the light shines in through the glass hangar doors and onto one or more of the display aircraft.

Go if you get the chance. Check the schedule, it may change during Winter months.

Wow really digging the yellow and black paint scheme with the aluminum, that's way cool. I have the auto gas stc and have been flying with half 100ll and 87 octane unleaded ethanol free...

Get rid of all the lead, there's nothing good about it for your engine if you can avoid it.

brian];1604123 said:
I don't think it is possible to use an eseries case to make a 470. Here is one option to upgrade an a35:
http://www.hammockaviation.com/Menuofservices_main_frame_file.htm

(I hear it is possible to use 470 jugs on a 225- but I definitely not an expert there..)

Do realize there are no performance gains.. Best to just save up some cash and upgrade when the prop or engine starts saying it's time...

No price on that website that I can find. You can use a very specific set of 470 jugs on the E series. They are no better than the 452 or 727 castings, and in some cases not as good. There is a performance gain(not by book) with the 4 ring pistons, also lower oil consumption. The E225 with the uprated injector carb with the 6 injector nozzles will give about 240HP at 2650.

Back