1948 A-35 just acquired

BonanzaBenji

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CubyGuy
Just acquired my first airplane, 1948 A-35, really flys well, light on the controls and has been well maintained.
Has the E-225, but will be looking to upgrade to a IO-470, 520 in the next few years, Im pretty sure that requires a front end overhaul and reinforcements to be added around the mounts to handle the increased weight.. Spent a little time looking at the D'Shannon books on requirements for it.

Any 35 model Bonanza owners on here?
What are your thoughts on engine conversions in this model?
I dont think I would want to go to a 3 blade prop, but Im rather inexperienced in Bonanza upgrades..
Any one participated in the ABS service clinics? Thoughts?

Welcome. You`ll probably have better luck finding Bonanza expertise at beechtalk.com. Free registration required.

I think new it sold for around 9 grand! Max karrant bought one of the early ones and I recall that was the price. He used to write for aopa I think. Have fun!
There seem to be a lot of bonanza people on here that are well versed and can help.

Last edited:
Welcome, nice planes, I agree you would do well to change to a 260hp IO-470, a Scimitar prop is very nice if you do the upgrade. I do not believe you can hang the 520 on the A model, but the 470 is not a very intensive swap at all. The Bo is a fine flying plane you can enjoy for many years.

Welcome,always had good luck on the beech talk site.

Na, fly the crap out of that 225.. Don't get in a hurry. Get a measuring tape and measure that prop. Should be 84 inch, but Ok if it is 88 inch. The biggest issue I've seen with these is the prop.. Long story. Just ask if you have any odd behaviors..

Go to beechtalk now.

Do a search for American bonanza society and join now.

Once of the abs website, look up a book by Lew Guage about the E-Series bonanza and buy it.. Even if you upgrade the engine.

If on Facebook, join us other oldie owners in vintage bonanza group.

Congrats on one of the best flying machine to ever take to the air!

Signed... Another early bo owner...

But Brian, you yourself say you're a dumbass arky and shouldn't be listened to. ;)

OP: Welcome to PoA and congrats on your purchase!

Yep.

And a couple of other words to let me post..

Congrats and welcome to POA. However you really didn't buy a plane unless you post photos here on the site:D

How does one post a photo on here?
Thanks for all the good advice!

Watch that nosegear. The half-fork is known to be a weak spot. I saw one guy get a bit stuck in some soft ground; he added a bunch of power to get through it, and the fork broke off at the weld. Destroyed the prop and engine. Some owners have had the newer double fork installed.

Dan

I believe you need to make a minimum of 5 posts before you get those privileges, sorry, just a way that helps filter spam, it's actually pretty effective. Post in a few more threads and you'll be good to go.

Watch that nosegear. The half-fork is known to be a weak spot. I saw one guy get a bit stuck in some soft ground; he added a bunch of power to get through it, and the fork broke off at the weld. Destroyed the prop and engine. Some owners have had the newer double fork installed.

Dan

Double fork? Are you talking about a bo?

Yea! Post a pic of that Bonnana!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.46.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.46.12 PM.png
    376.6 KB · Views: 225
I'll post it as soon as I'm able, that's a nice looking plane there sir!!

Thank you.. Beechtalk has many amazing older bos and the Facebook group I mentioned even has some old bo videos...

brian];1603813 said:
Double fork? Are you talking about a bo?

My memory is playing tricks on me. I'm wrong.

This here welded assembly:

35-825100_672.JPG

...as opposed to this cast one:

35-810169-3_677.JPG

No fork. Just a single-sided support that was a welded thing that failed until they came out with the stronger cast part.

Dan

Ah yea, mine has been replaced and looks like the beefier one. I know an A35 owner (and A&P) with the other one and seems to be doing well. Regardless, it would be something to review.

One thing is for sure - Bonanza gear really is rugged.

My bonanza has the nose gear in the first pic, the welded one

I would put in as much engine as possible. My 67 V35 has a IO-550 and if it could have an IO-720 I would have one in it. Best handling certified single engine plane ever built.

I've flown a k35 with a 470 and that seems to be plenty of power, A-35 is lighter than the k model and I think that would be plenty of power, I'm going to fly the e-225 for at least a couple more years

Yea, if it ain't broke... But do sell that prop (assuming electric) - there will be someone out there looking to buy when you are ready..

The most interesting configuration I've seen was a 520 in a g35... 200 mph is not a problem...

Will you be using the a35 for travel, hamburger runs or a little of both?

I would put in as much engine as possible. My 67 V35 has a IO-550 and if it could have an IO-720 I would have one in it. Best handling certified single engine plane ever built.

You could have more, you could have a GTSIO-520-K with 425 HP and a big quiet prop. There is a GTSIO Bonanza out there that worked on government surveylence jobs because it was so quiet.

brian];1603926 said:
Yea, if it ain't broke... But do sell that prop (assuming electric) - there will be someone out there looking to buy when you are ready..

The most interesting configuration I've seen was a 520 in a g35... 200 mph is not a problem...

Will you be using the a35 for travel, hamburger runs or a little of both?

Travel and whatever excuse I can come up with to fly, haha, my sister lives in Austin so I'm sure I'll be flying there, and i plan on making an Oshkosh trip either next year or the following.
Still don't think I can post a pic

So Ben finally bought an airplane?

So Ben finally bought an airplane?

Given to me, I was going to get a Cessna 140, but my dad wants to make room in his hanger for a champ or citabria... Cost was the 5$ for registration application, helluva deal:D

Click 'go advanced' then click on manage attachments. Others might have a link to the help..

How do I post pics???

If you have them online, you can click on the picture link at the top o a response box and paste the URL there. Otherwise you need an Advanced Reply box with an attachment paperclip. Click there, attach the files (iPad will only do one per post on Safari) and upload them. When uploaded return to the post screen, click at the bottom of your post, then click on the paper clip again and then insert the attachments from there.

Here ya go, on the ramp at Angelina co after my first solo cross country

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 142
Given to me, I was going to get a Cessna 140, but my dad wants to make room in his hanger for a champ or citabria... Cost was the 5$ for registration application, helluva deal:D

Can't beat that. For a minute there I thought you might be someone else. Good luck with your new ride.

At pineland airport

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

That is a deal, that means you can modernize it and still be financially OK in the plane.

Modernize??!!

I guess there is that group.. I hear they also retract flaps immediately after landing :)

Make it yours and enjoy the airplane..

You really do need to get on beechtalk... There is a cfi over in Boulder that is a g35 driver...

Back