1946 Luscombe 8A

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Have been receiving some of my first lessons in a all aluminum 1946 Luscombe, I’m wondering if someone were to purchase one, what do they cost on average these days, what does a typical annual cost given they do not have electrical systems and since it’s very noisy in the cockpit, with no headphone Jack input, does a pair of headsets exist that help with noise and allow the pilot/student to talk to one another through the headset?

There are several battery powered intercom systems for aviation. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/sig_port_intrcm.php

On my last BFR, after enduring the steam of consciousness blather that serves as training & coaching, I was praying the intercom would give out. But, you should still protect your hearing.

Luscombe is a classic. But there are so many variables that it is difficult to say. And, frankly, a lot of pitfalls for a pilot in training. You don’t know enough to know what you need, much less where the ownership bear traps are. Still, a survey of barnstormer, aero-trader, & others will get you a range. There is probably a luscombe club or assn. they will have the best info. There were several engines, 65-90-ish hp, all continentals, I think. But parts can be scarce.

There are several battery powered intercom systems for aviation. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/sig_port_intrcm.php

On my last BFR, after enduring the steam of consciousness blather that serves as training & coaching, I was praying the intercom would give out. But, you should still protect your hearing.

Luscombe is a classic. But there are so many variables that it is difficult to say. And, frankly, a lot of pitfalls for a pilot in training. You don’t know enough to know what you need, much less where the ownership bear traps are. Still, a survey of barnstormer, aero-trader, & others will get you a range. There is probably a luscombe club or assn. they will have the best info. There were several engines, 65-90-ish hp, all continentals, I think. But parts can be scarce.
As far as the most simpler airplanes go, would the Cessna 150 be a better choice than the said Luscombe due to parts available? If eventually looking to purchase one, just wondering. Since it doesn’t seem to get much simpler than the Luscombe set up compared to 150 dash panels I’ve seen

Oh, you gotta post some pics of that bird!

Many of the old Luscombe 8 models (all except the 8E, IIRC) are eligible to be flown as LSAs under Sport Pilot rules. Not sure if that matters to you. There are several listed on TAP, mostly 8Es. See https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=LUSCOMBE&s-type=aircraft . Just a guess, but you could probably get a decent example for something in the 30k-35k range.

Here's an article you might enjoy: https://www.flyingmag.com/the-luscombe-8-offers-a-unique-trip-back-in-time/ .

The same caveats apply. Until American pilots got too heavy, the 150 was a flight school staple. You can always find a gem, but you’re gonna have to shovel through a lot of hard flown airframes & high TBO engines to find it.

3 questions before you go any further buying a plane:
1. Where are you going to keep it? Will it be convenient for your instructor, too? There is a dire shortage of hangers in the US. Most of us had high hopes during Covid some would open up, but no. I spent 2 yrs sweetalking widows & near widows to find one. I’m still embarrassed.
2. What mission profile do you imagine? Buy the plane to that fills the mission.
3. Have you thought about the time penalty to buy a “cheap” fixer upper? Annual inspections are booked out 1 yr. or more. There are vicious bidding wars for a usable cylinder that can be reworked for a plane that has already waited 6 month for one (theft for parts is a prime reason you need a hanger. Recently, somebody broke into a local hanger & had the engine halfway off before a late night arrival scared them off)). There is a genuine shortage of aviation mechanics nationwide.

one reason I went the Experimental LSA route is because with a 16-hr course, I can do my own annual (& routine maintenance). It’s just a leaf with an engine, but suits my needs.

Oh, you gotta post some pics of that bird!

Many of the old Luscombe 8 models (all except the 8E, IIRC) are eligible to be flown as LSAs under Sport Pilot rules. Not sure if that matters to you. There are several listed on TAP, mostly 8Es. See https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=LUSCOMBE&s-type=aircraft . Just a guess, but you could probably get a decent example for something in the 30k-35k range.

Here's an article you might enjoy: https://www.flyingmag.com/the-luscombe-8-offers-a-unique-trip-back-in-time/ .
Yes Im aware of the LSA classification for the 8A.I found and read that article yesterday!!!

The same caveats apply. Until American pilots got too heavy, the 150 was a flight school staple. You can always find a gem, but you’re gonna have to shovel through a lot of hard flown airframes & high TBO engines to find it.

3 questions before you go any further buying a plane:
1. Where are you going to keep it? Will it be convenient for your instructor, too? There is a dire shortage of hangers in the US. Most of us had high hopes during Covid some would open up, but no. I spent 2 yrs sweetalking widows & near widows to find one. I’m still embarrassed.
2. What mission profile do you imagine? Buy the plane to that fills the mission.
3. Have you thought about the time penalty to buy a “cheap” fixer upper? Annual inspections are booked out 1 yr. or more. There are vicious bidding wars for a usable cylinder that can be reworked for a plane that has already waited 6 month for one (theft for parts is a prime reason you need a hanger. Recently, somebody broke into a local hanger & had the engine halfway off before a late night arrival scared them off)). There is a genuine shortage of aviation mechanics nationwide.

one reason I went the Experimental LSA route is because with a 16-hr course, I can do my own annual (& routine maintenance). It’s just a leaf with an engine, but suits my needs.
Regarding the fact I would like to possibly become a commercial pilot as a profession one day.. would it be a waste to get a sport pilot certification while I wait for my medical at cami to issue me a letter to take a medical flight test? Given the roughly $5500.00 sport vs 12-15k for private, since you need the hours anyway, would it be just spending extra money for the sport first? Since the Luscombe is an LSA and very easy to operate, great fuel mileage ect. Yes I’m aware of the drawbacks of 2 seats, limited space, weight carry ect.

Luscombes are great little airplanes and relatively cheap time builders. I love mine, despite its faults. The “gotchas” are finding replacement engine parts. They are really antiques. My annuals have run $500-$1200, depending upon what needs service/repair. Mine has the mogas STC so hourly costs are low.

As far as the most simpler airplanes go, would the Cessna 150 be a better choice than the said Luscombe due to parts available? If eventually looking to purchase one, just wondering. Since it doesn’t seem to get much simpler than the Luscombe set up compared to 150 dash panels I’ve seen
You misspelled 140... Too bad, you missed a good one:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/1947-cessna-140.142731/

But yes, they are antiques, you will be a curator, and they cost what they cost.

Mine has the mogas STC so hourly costs are low.
Same. 6 AMU before the prop turns, but I'll make it up in volume on $4.50 gas instead of $6 gas :D

Back