1938 "Airport on a truck"

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
This Automobile Is a Complete Airport

TWELVE-TON TOOL BOX ON WHEELS TURNS ANY LEVEL COW PASTURE INTO A SERVICE BASE WITH ALL EQUIPMENT FOR REPAIRING PLANES.

ROLLING swiftly down highways on ten oversize balloon tires, a revolutionary airport-in-miniature for use by passenger air lines and military air forces now provides quick and complete assistance to stranded airplanes. This curious “twelve-ton tool box” is the invention of Kibbey W. Couse, of East Orange, N. J. It is capable of turning any level cow pasture into an airport complete with machine shop, repair parts, floodlights, and radio.

Extending from the rear of the big truck is a fifteen-foot boom. A seventy-five-foot steel cable runs over it to a two-ton winch. This equipment permits the mechanics to hoist big engines from planes for complete overhauls. In fact, when the mobile airport goes on a run, it is equipped for doing anything from shoeing a horse to rebuilding an airplane.

When a temporary airport is set up, the cab of the truck becomes the operations office. It contains a card file and a typewriter stand so that careful records can be kept of the work done. It also contains the powerful two- way radio equipment which can function either as a radiotelephone or as wireless telegraph. Beside the radio stand is a master switch. By flipping this, the operator can cut off any electric machines being used in the rear compartments of the truck if they are causing interference. The radio equipment can be used when the truck is rushing along a highway as well as when it has come to a stop. Seats within the roomy cab fold down into beds for two men.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008...if=auto_airports_0.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL#qdig

Imagine!

Where can I get one of those things. I really like the built-in beds, nothing better than a short afternoon nap. I'm not sure if I should be welding on an engine though.

I want one. Can they put wings on it too, please. And floatable. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You have to wonder what became of it... Would be an interesting EAA or Air & Space
Museum piece!

Back