1927, by Bill Bryson

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
One Summer, by Bill Bryson

Bill Bryson is an excellent researcher and writer. His current effort takes us back to 1927...but the prologue is about aviation in the years leading up to 1927 (the year that Lucky Lindy flew the Atlantic). Great historical data and insights on adventures and misadventures as America struggled to catch up with aviation in Europe.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Re: One Summer, by Bill Bryson

Bill Bryson is an excellent researcher and writer. His current effort takes us back to 1927...but the prologue is about aviation in the years leading up to 1927 (the year that Lucky Lindy flew the Atlantic). Great historical data and insights on adventures and misadventures as America struggled to catch up with aviation in Europe.

Bob Gardner

Just got it from the library. Got to get into it.

Ever read A Walk In The Woods? Hilarious.

Dan

Just got it from the library. Got to get into it.

Dan

Bryson has done some outstanding stuff. Notes from a Small Island is top of the list.

I read Sunburned Country when we were on our way to Australia. Nice read in preparation.

Spot on. Let me tell you how to enhance the hilarity. I received the book from a friend as a gift many years ago. I started reading it but never finished it. Fast forward several years, I'm fresh out of a painful surgery and know I'm going to be laid up for many weeks. Because of the pain associated with the surgery I'm also taking heavy doses of a mixed cocktail of pain killers that had a drastic effect on my state of mind. I decide I should go read that book while I can't really do anything else. I remember laughing to the point of tears, pain, and even hyperventilation a couple of times over the course of reading the book.

Spot on. Let me tell you how to enhance the hilarity. I received the book from a friend as a gift many years ago. I started reading it but never finished it. Fast forward several years, I'm fresh out of a painful surgery and know I'm going to be laid up for many weeks. Because of the pain associated with the surgery I'm also taking heavy doses of a mixed cocktail of pain killers that had a drastic effect on my state of mind. I decide I should go read that book while I can't really do anything else. I remember laughing to the point of tears, pain, and even hyperventilation a couple of times over the course of reading the book.

Anyone interested in seeing a sample of it can go here:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Wny...AEwAA#v=onepage&q=a walk in the woods&f=false

Dan

Back