18th of 56, KSRR

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Sierra Blanca Regional Airport

This is what an airport should be. Seriously, this airport is hands down the nicest, most friendly airport I have ever visited. All should take time to come here at some point in their life to see what an airport should be. This is even nicer than Borger, TX, believe it or not.

Lets start from the beginning:

As I departed Roswell, a bit disappointed about not getting to see the city due to the phenominal fuel prices and not being allowed the courtesy car, the turbulence began to kick up a little, which could be understood, as I was flying into a mountainous area with a lot of hot ground. The Beak MOA was active and in use, so it didn't take long after departing Roswell that I had to keep my head on a constant swivel to avoid being a target during some game. Luckily, I saw nothing except beautiful blue skies and awesome looking terrain.

I originally planned on entering the pattern at Sierra Blanca to avoid being "that guy" that butts into the pattern, but I called about 15 miles out intending to enter the downwind for 34, and a friendly guy came on the UNICOM telling me that it'd be fine to come straight on in. He hadn't seen any traffic all day.

At this point, some friendly (read: not) United Airlines jet folk start having a personal conversation on 122.8 between each other, essentially eating all of the bandwidth available. I took a second between their calls to announce short final, runway 34 and was met with a wind update from the UNICOM guy. One of The United guys says "Well, looks like someone's clogged out frequency, I'll talk to you later, man." I wanted to suggest an air to air frequency to them, but decided to zip it and just focus on landing.

The winds were reported at about 3 knots, but they sure felt stronger than that. I was being blown all over the place on final, but my landing turned out ok. The kind man came on the radio and asked if'n I need fuel or if I'd be staying over night. I explained that I was just checking the place out, so he told me to park right in front of the FBO. That was awesome.

The gentleman met me at the plane and introduced himself. His name was Roger Marshall, and he was a very nice guy. I explained my journey, and he got me a bunch of information about the airport in writing. He also explained that the Ruidoso city attorney had taken their courtesy car away to avoid liability. Too bad, but that's really the only negative thing that can be said about this place.

I decided to walk around the rustic looking FBO (by Rustic I don't mean old, I mean really neat and rustic). I was surprised to find a printout from Airnav on the wall, with all of the comments highlighted. A note said "Good job guys!" on it. This is what all FBOs should do! That's awesome, they really care what people think!

I walked out front to see the views, and let me tell you, they are spectacular here. Ruidoso is my favorite city now. Unfortunately, the city is about 15 miles away from the airport, and without a courtesy car, its not easy to get there, but I'm still super impressed.

On departure, the winds were still at about 5 knots, nice and slow. Density altitude was about 9000 at this point, so I knew this was gonna be a heck of a ride. As I lifted off, I experienced wind shear, and it scared the bejesus out of me. Everything went fine, and I was soon climbing out towards the west for another adventure.

Fuel and services are available at this airport, but fuel is $4.17 a gallon. Still a bit too steep for me. I knew I was headed to Carrizozo next, so I figued I'd hope for better fuel prices there. Either way, I'd need fuel there, so I new I'd be getting it regardless of price. In hindsight, because Sierra Blanca was so perfect, I should have bit the bullet and bought fuel there. It would have been the least I could to thank them for running a top notch facility.

I left my video camera at home, but I got some still shots with my camera.

Pictures:
1) Long final, runway 34, look at that view. Amazing
2) Short final, runway 34. Beautiful little airport ahead
3) Parked on the ramp.

SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 6814 Ft
Runways 6/24: 8099'x100ft, Asphalt in excellent condition
Runways 12/30: 6500'x75ft, Asphalt in excellent condition
AWOS: 126.475
UNICOM: 122.8

Nick's NOTAMS: Prepare for crazy wind patterns

Attachments