182's are fast! to me anyawys....

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I managed to get 154 knots ground speed today on the way back home and on 20 inches and 2200 RPM. Wasn't even trying. I have never flown that fast! Without the airlines of course.

David

I managed to get 154 knots ground speed today on the way back home and on 20 inches and 2200 RPM. Wasn't even trying. I have never flown that fast! Without the airlines of course.

David

Sounds like a 10 knot tailwind to me. :D

Sounds like a 10 knot tailwind to me. :D
It takes a 30 knot tail wind to push my 172 that fast. We saw that crossing the Rockies last October. Of course on the way home, we maxed at 85 knots ground speed in the same area.

You don't know what "fast" really is until you leave a roostertail of dust behind you that's higher than the plane. But up to that point, each step up the speed ladder seems "fast" until you've been doing it a while or fly something faster.

You don't know what "fast" really is until you leave a roostertail of dust behind you that's higher than the plane. But up to that point, each step up the speed ladder seems "fast" until you've been doing it a while or fly something faster.

Ron is right. This joke is an old chestnut by now, but for those who haven't read it in a while....

In his book, Sled Driver, SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul writes: "I'll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my back-seater) and I were screaming across Southern California 13 miles high. We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace. Although they didn't really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope.

I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed. "90 knots," Center replied. Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same. "120 knots," Center answered. We weren't the only ones proud of our ground speed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, "Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout." There was a slight pause, then the response, "525 knots on the ground, Dusty." Another silent pause.

As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison. "Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?" There was a longer than normal pause.... "Aspen, I show 1,742 knots" (That's about 2004.658 mph.)

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency.

-Skip

Ron is right. This joke is an old chestnut by now, but for those who haven't read it in a while....

-Skip

I had not read that before. Thanks!

I doubt I Will ever see that much speed. Who knows though!

David

Thanks skip, that was a fun read. I hope that we see airline travel at those speeds in our lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks skip, that was a fun read. I hope that we see airline travel at those speeds in our lifetime.

Those speeds would require lots and lots of fuel.

and lots and lots of passengers money :)
not sure it would be worth if for anyone making less then millions a year. But It sure would be nice to cross the Atlantic in an hour or two.

Came out of a Low Level (IR) route one day in western Montana headed home to Grand Forks ND. Asked Center for 11,000 direct. Got approved. A biz jet came up on freq asking for an IFR clearence out of Minot Muni. Center cleared him to 10,000 traffic at 11,000 30nm west heading east, call departing Minot.

We motored by Minot and I could see the biz jet just starting his departure roll. He came up on the freq asking for higher and center advised, your traffic is now 20nm east, you are cleared to FLxxx. The biz jet asked, what?. I did not think we took that long to get out. To which center replied, he's got 650 knt GS, you can't catch him. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In his book, Sled Driver, SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul writes...

After reading this quote (which I enjoyed), I thought this would be a nice book to obtain for myself and my former airline pilot Dad.

Looked at Amazon and eBay..... :yikes: :hairraise: :yikes: :hairraise: Had no clue it's brining that price for the hardcover.

Came out of a Low Level (IR) route one day in western Montana headed home to Grand Forks ND. Asked Center for 11,000 direct. Got approved. A biz jet came up on freq asking for an IFR clearence out of Minot Muni. Center cleared him to 10,000 traffic at 11,000 30nm west heading east, call departing Minot.

We motored by Minot and I could see the biz jet just starting his departure roll. He came up on the freq asking for higher and center advised, your traffic is now 20nm east, you are cleared to FLxxx. The biz jet asked, what?. I did not think we took that long to get out. To which center replied, he's got 650 knt GS, you can't catch him. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice!

What were you flying?

Barring the grumpy cast here, glad you got to fly the 182. Enjoy it. Welcome to flying a real airplane. ;)

Barring the grumpy cast here, glad you got to fly the 182. Enjoy it. Welcome to flying a real airplane. ;)

For some reason I enjoy it more than 172's. Maybe its the fact that it is roomier than the average tin can airplane. If I ever get into a 150 I will probably have to cry. LOL

David

One of my partners flew our 182 from DC to Ohio and back yesterday. Speed from Dc to Ohio was as low as 88 knots. Ohio to DC peaked at 182 knots.

It takes a 30 knot tail wind to push my 172 that fast. We saw that crossing the Rockies last October. Of course on the way home, we maxed at 85 knots ground speed in the same area.

:redface: I would need a 25 knot head wind. :rofl:

For some reason I enjoy it more than 172's. Maybe its the fact that it is roomier than the average tin can airplane. If I ever get into a 150 I will probably have to cry. LOL

David

The Shoulder to Shoulder width/comfort of a 182 is addicting and spoiling me to how much I like that. Same with flight performance.

BTW to those monitoring the thread and are in the D/FW area. We still have a slot open in our 16-member club that owns a 182P and a V35 Bonanza. Search the forums for Metro Flyers to find my announcement from earlier this month.

The Shoulder to Shoulder width/comfort of a 182 is addicting and spoiling me to how much I like that. Same with flight performance.

BTW to those monitoring the thread and are in the D/FW area. We still have a slot open in our 16-member club that owns a 182P and a V35 Bonanza. Search the forums for Metro Flyers to find my announcement from earlier this month.

Why can't you be here in Ohio? That Bonanza sounds nice to.

David

Those speeds would require lots and lots of fuel.

and lots and lots of passengers money :)

not sure it would be worth if for anyone making less then millions a year. But It sure would be nice to cross the Atlantic in an hour or two.

The people flying gulf streams already have almost unlimited budget. If there was a super sonic business jet I'm sure many of them would use it. Then the technology will slowly trickle down to the masses like air travel did in the 20th century.

The people flying gulf streams already have almost unlimited budget. If there was a super sonic business jet I'm sure many of them would use it. Then the technology will slowly trickle down to the masses like air travel did in the 20th century.

No. They don't have unlimited budgets and they use faster aircraft to help with the budget they can't change... time.

The only way that technology will "trickle down" is if the masses somehow find a way to make themselves as valuable in person as some of these folks are.

Frankly digital communications technology will stay ahead of that forever.

One of my partners flew our 182 from DC to Ohio and back yesterday. Speed from Dc to Ohio was as low as 88 knots. Ohio to DC peaked at 182 knots.

182 kts stood as my peak GS for a few years, then I caught a ripping tail wind coming home from KSPF. I saw 211 level and even more in the decent. It was over 100kts on my tail at 13.5:wink2:

Back