182rg

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a friend who is close to buying one of these, he hasn't decided which.
What should he know about the type. I think we used to have an owner out there.(?)
He's going non-turbo. He will have an inspection done.
tks

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have a friend who is close to buying one of these, he hasn't decided which.
What should he know about the type. I think we used to have an owner out there.(?)
He's going non-turbo. He will have an inspection done.
tks
Dave, I have a good friend who has a 182RG; he absolutely LOVES it. He lives nearby and keeps it at his home (short grass strip). Seems like I remember reading something about the landing gear being a possible problem, but my friend has never had any problems with his gear and he often lands here at my farm (rough strip).

I'm sure he would be willing to give your friend some input; let me know.

182 RG and the 210 series, DO NOT BUY until you have the aircraft inspected IAW an annual inspection and the gear has passed a retraction test and dertermined not to leak, or the power pack has been repacked and works as per the BOOK not some ones version of "its OK".

The power pack is EXPENSIVE and a night mare to remove and install. think BIG hours to do the job right.

If it is leaking, you are in for troubles. and large bucks to repair.

How much Tom, a grand or two? ("an AMU or two") AMU= airplane monetary unit
Thanks Diana, yes send him my email or ask him what he should look for.

Let'sgoflying! said:
How much Tom, a grand or two? ("an AMU or two") AMU= airplane monetary unit
Thanks Diana, yes send him my email or ask him what he should look for.

I think 15 hours of labor, many shops charge 85-100 per, plus parts. If you must buy a new pack it is $10-12k

If the Saddle AD applies, and has not been done, add another 20 hours, and the cost of parts there too.

The 210, and the 100 series retracts are great aircraft, buy buying a project is even out of my projects money range.

I have one and bought it in June. The first thing he should do is join the Cessna Pilots Association. Best $45 he can spend. The gear has two hoses on it. These should be replaced every five years. There is also a Service Bullitin regarding replacing the spring guides on the nose gear that were originally plastic with a metal piece and inspection of the pins that are captured by the downlock hooks. Make sure this has been complied with.

The power pack can be removed and rebuilt. I know owners that do this once every 20 years or so. The gear is fairly tough, but will not be as tough as a fised gear plane. The tires are small to fit into the belly of the plane.

If the gear and retraction mechanism is well maintained, it should be no problem.

Al in all, a great airplane and great performer.

Mark

Been flying a 182 rg now for several years in a club. Great performer, good speed. Not to bad on fuel. About the same speed as our Mooney with more load capacity.

The gear advice goes for 172rgs as well. I believe it's a cessna thing. We had the problem once on a Cutlass about 4 years ago.

Thanks Guys, I forgot about yours Mark, doh.
Wow 10K for a power pack. Hopefully they can be iraned instead of just 'new'.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks Guys, I forgot about yours Mark, doh.
Wow 10K for a power pack. Hopefully they can be iraned instead of just 'new'.

Airight, Inc does power pack overhauls and are recommended by CPA.

Mark

I've been very happy with mine....overall a great bird. The gear gets a somewhat undeserved rap...find an A & P who understands the system.

I bought into the A/C after the cracked actuator AD was complied with, which I understand may have been recinded since by the FAA. $8K plus change for parts and labor. The pack was also rebuilt at the same time, pushing everything, including the annual, to $11K.

However, my current partner was also an original partner in the A/C, and knock on wood, never experienced any gear problems.

O540 - 235HP..very underworked...very reliable. Previous Mattituck made 2,200 hours and still showing 70's before the O/H. Never had a jug off.

Small mains...prone to wear and flat spotting. Be gentle on the brakes....

Greg

182RG

Back