182L POH Stall Speeds

srober20

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
First post!
Based out of Knoxville
Can someone help me on stall speeds for my new to me 182L. The commercial check list that came with the plane lists the stall speeds as follows
Vso: 60
Vs1: 67

However I am unable to find these published in the POH. I have attached the POH screen-shot and actual manual

The speeds provided in the POH are also listed in CAS.

Thanks for the help and looking forward to this resource!
-Shawn

Attachments

• Stallspeeds.png
    Stallspeeds.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1968 182L POH.pdf
    13.5 MB · Views: 11
The checklist is wrong. Those numbers are neither the CAS or IAS for the 182s and converting from MPH to knots doesn't help any.

Then if I am reading it correctly the POH published stall speeds are as follows
Vs1: 64 MPH CAS
Vso: 57 MPH CAS at 20 degrees flaps.

Then I would need to convert to IAS using the below table.

The CAS conversion table only goes to 68 MPH with flaps up?

57 MPH CAS with flaps down would have an IAS around 40 MPH. Is this really the Vso?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6986.png
    IMG_6986.png
    924.5 KB · Views: 2
In the meantime, those numbers are built into the bottom of the green and white arcs on your airspeed indicator. While not a precise number, from a practical point it's probably more accurate when you consider a calculation that may mix up IAS and TAS along with MPH and knots.

We have two Pawnees in our glider operation, one ASI is in knots and the other in MPH. For me it's much safer to use the ASI markings instead of the numbers, because most of the time I don't know which plane I'm flying. :)

ASI.jpg

Thanks. Will just go by ASI

Welcome to PoA & congrats on the 182L! Now, throw out that checklist...
57 MPH CAS with flaps down would have an IAS around 40 MPH. Is this really the Vso?
Sounds about right, go out and try it. With 2 up and full tanks, the 182K I used to fly needed to be goaded into stalling.

"go out an try it" as George pointed out is the only correct answer. If you are uncomfortable doing this by yourself, get a CFI to go with you.

There should be no uncertainty when it comes to these speeds as they may save your life some day. Then go out and spend an entire flight doing slow flight the whole time. You will learn a lot about your plane.

Don't forget calibrated airspeed. The 182 has a not-insignificant indication error at high angles of attack. Wouldn't surprise me if it's not in the POH for the L model, though... the early POHs are pretty sparse.

Take her up to altitude with a CFI and figure out the numbers. Depending on maintenance, many of these old beasts are a bit out of rig, and it's good to know how they behave in a stall anyway.

Can someone help me on stall speeds for my new to me 182L. The commercial check list that came with the plane lists the stall speeds as follows
There's your problem. Never seen a small plane commercial checklist I would use, let alone pay money for. Don't know how these companies get away with producing this crap.

Back