182H cabin heat

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Inamntrying to figure what I got as far as cabin heat. I got two white pull-out knobs with a dial to the right of the upper knob. The lower knob says “cabin heat”. The dial says defrost closed-open
The upper knob has no label.
So normally I just need to crack up open the “cabin heat” Lower knob and I get lots, too much heat. In fact I need to pull it for a bit then. Close it. For me and my instructor. It suffices. Today I did some XC work and figured I got to get to know these. It was friggin cold.
The upper knob I think controls the heat to the windshield defrost? Dial controls flow to windshield?
Well nevertheless it was brisk up there today. Didn’t have to turn off heat. OAT was about -15C.
Do i have the knobs and dial right? Is there a trick to getting more heat as today was chilly. For me I don’t care but I can imagine my wife pitching a fit. She doesn’t like to fly so will find any reason to besmirch the plane and not fly. Lol.
Today just didn’t seem to get cooking like it did two weeks ago. But I had both knobs pulled. I also had the cowl flaps closed on cruise. That makes a big difference.

The unlabeled knob is the cabin air.

NOTE
Always pull out the CABIN AIR knob slightly when the CABIN HEAT knob is out. This action increases airflow through the system, increasing efficiency, and blends cool outside air with the exhaust manifold heated air, thus eliminating the possibility of overheating the system ducting.

Last edited:
I made an edit for a more accurate description.
Great. That’s good to know. So the cabin heat knob pull out more=more hot air? Or is it just like an on off button?

The POH will have that info.

Great. That’s good to know. So the cabin heat knob pull out more=more hot air? Or is it just like an on off button?

Yes, more = more on the cabin heat. The fresh air cools the heat some and usually has a Venturi effect to increase the volumn of warmed air entering the cabin.

Page 2-3 of the Owners Manual has the info, no Such thing as a POH for a 182H. But here is a link if you do not have an Owners Manual.. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1317131/Cessna-182-1965.html#manual

Back