182 Winterfront

iflyifr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Iflyifr
1964 182G - Any suggestions as to what can be used as a winterfront? Needed for Wisconsin winter flying.

A strip of aluminum duct tape across the oil cooler is all you'll need. CHTs don't vary much between summer and winter but oil temps do. I have factory plates and used them for about 30 minutes before I pulled them off and tossed them on a shelf.

Yup aluminum tape, don't forget the cabin inlets and louvers if you got em.

Not mine but it shows the general idea.

Nov.30-06%20009.jpg

It's harder than you think to remember to take it off. Make sure you monitor oil temp when it warms up too.

CHTs don't vary much between summer and winter but oil temps do.

Mine do, pretty significantly, about 50 to 75dF depending on the cylinder. But all I've ever done is cover the oil cooler with the FAA approved high speed duct tape too. When it's below 30dF or so, I cover the entire thing.

Try it at -30 or -40 some time! I have a strip of tape on my cooler for most of the summer. Two in winter. Do it for awhile and you'll be able to predict your oil temps by outside temps and tape coverage. Simple stuff. As for CHTs? I've never flown cold enough temps to make my CHTs cool enough to warrant any concern.

To the OP, make sure your carb is set up
rich enough for cold weather. Cold air makes your normal mixture leaner than in warmer air. It also makes more power and more power makes more heat. Some guys use air intake restrictors in cold weather to manage their mixture. I prefer to have my carb setup to handle it.

Last edited:
Brrr. Thanks for posting this, as a reminder of why I left Wisconsin winters! ;)

But I will second (or third) the suggestion for aluminum (NOT duct) tape on the oil cooler. It works great.

BTW, I've used regular duct tape for many years and the only disadvatage compared to aluminum tape is that it has more adhesive and that can leave a little goo on the cooler. Not a big deal but that's why many guys recommend aluminum tape. I usually use what I have in the tool bag.

Notice my cylinder has a baffle on it and the one in James' photo doesn't. My left side baffle is like the one in his pic. The right side has that shroud baffle. I've enjoyed very even CHTs since adding them. You should also insulate your induction balance tube and breather line. It helps for cold weather ops and doesn't need to be removed for warm weather.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the information. Was on the right track with aluminum tape and carb set-up; but always open to ideas. Never know what else could be out there. Just part of the winterizing. Not as bad as Stewartb, but the UP and Northern Wisconsin can be challenging.
View attachment 48655

Attachments

• chaining up.jpg
    chaining up.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 25
Back