182 Manifold Pressure experiment for approach settings - my 15yr old's science project

Barry

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
knoxflier
I thought I would share this. My 15 year old son absolutely loves all things aviation, he is actually the one who inspired me to get my PPL this time last year, and to buy our 1965 182H so we can fly together and as a family. He is very helpful in the co-pilot seat too. I have also started working on my Instrument ticket, hence the science project.

He was assigned a school science project to do on experiments with variables, so we came up with an idea to do an experiment on manifold pressure settings in our plane to get 500fpm decent. We did the experiment yesterday doing 5 separate approaches, 100kts, 10 degree flaps, varying 15-11 inches of manifold pressure. The graph shows a pretty direct correlation (black bar is the average for each setting), for my plane turns out 13" is about right. I was proud of him for doing a good job, think he is proud of it too.

Anyhow, thought you might enjoy, and that there are still youth out there who loves planes as much or more than we do.

Attachments

• Manifold Pressure Chart.jpg
    Manifold Pressure Chart.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Finding The Manifold Pressure That Gives You A Planned Decent Rate Of 500fpm Connor Scott (002).pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 46
That's a really good piece of work! You owe him ...

Pretty cool project. Now for the expensive part. The next part of the experiment is testing multiple different aircraft models with the same engine in them to see if different manifold pressures are required in each. LOL

Very pricey for the parent! This is going to cost you a boat load of money! LOL

Pretty cool project. Now for the expensive part. The next part of the experiment is testing multiple different aircraft models with the same engine in them to see if different manifold pressures are required in each. LOL

Very pricey for the parent! This is going to cost you a boat load of money! LOL

Great opportunity for the young man to learn how to apply for a government grant!

Awesome!

13” is the right number for mine too, 182p IO-470.

What about an rpm experiment, rather than MP? We use MP, but would RPM make the data “tighter” (lower std dev)? Or “sloppier”?

Thanks for the comments all! I did add him to my insurance this year as student pilot, so when this CV thing eases up will get a CFI with him so he can get some left seat time in our plane. He has a couple of hours in his log book with a 172 from last year on discovery flights, but not in our 182 just yet. Not to brag on him too much, but he already has a very steady hand at flying, better than mine in some regards (age, plus lots of R/C probably helps him there). Has a pretty cool head too and is learning a lot by sitting in the right seat. Great help at radio listening, watching for traffic, navigation, etc. As fate would have it, there are some issues to get past before he could solo/get medical, which could be a few years out, but in the meantime he will get some seat/air time!

455 Bravo, good question on RPMs, not sure but may play with that next time I'm doing an approach.

Getting the 100% on this project pulled his honors chemistry grade up a level to a B right at the end of the year, which really made all of us happy. Things like this only seems to make him love flying and aviation even more. Me too in a lot of ways.

Back