182 loses AI at Ashville

Damn! That's why we practice that partial panel no gyro stuff. This makes two fatal accidents here in western NC in as many weeks.

NTSB Report said:
At 10:46:45, the approach controller directed the pilot to turn to a heading of 160 degrees to intercept the localizer approach course for runway 16. At 10:47:15, the approach controller advise the pilot he was over the initial approach fix "Junoe", and to maintain 4,600 feet until established on the localizer, cleared instrument landing system (ILS) runway 16 approach.

This has nothing to do with the outcome, but I was following along with the approach plate. Am I reading this wrong? JUNOE isn't an IAF for this approach, best I can tell. SNOWBIRD VOR and KEANS LOM are, but not JUNOE. It's a feeder fix, but not an IAF.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0705/05061IL16.PDF

I thought it interesting that he did two descending 360's on the final approach course. Man, if that isn't a reminder to keep the compass in your scan, too...

Impact point: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...pn=0.086686,0.187454&t=k&z=13&iwloc=addr&om=1

Last edited:
Could it be the controller using the wrong term? If it's on the course line as much as it appears, he was probably just giving the pilot an earlier point to become established. His last course to intercept was 160 for a glide path of 164 so he wasn't far off.

Something I'd like to know is how tight these 360 degree turns were. There's a lot missing yet but it appears to be a case of disorientation and loss of control.

Did you notice he was reporting climbing through 3300, and about a minute later he is told to "climb, climb", but a minute and a half later the impact is at an altitude of 2800? Even at 500/minute he should have been at least at 4000 by then and with the urgency of the situation a full power climb should have got him to the 5100 he was assigned. I wonder who was at the controls the last few minutes, with the commercial pilot in the right seat.

Did you notice he was reporting climbing through 3300, and about a minute later he is told to "climb, climb", but a minute and a half later the impact is at an altitude of 2800? Even at 500/minute he should have been at least at 4000 by then and with the urgency of the situation a full power climb should have got him to the 5100 he was assigned. I wonder who was at the controls the last few minutes, with the commercial pilot in the right seat.
That's part of why I think he was disoriented, really losing touch with all his instruments. He may have been fixated on those he claimed were failed. As a result, he could have relaxed his climb rate, disorientation progressed until he lost control.

That's a big reason why as soon as you determine an instrument is inoperative, cover it... even if it's just a post-it note. I keep a few under the edge of my knee board. Then, focus on what works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back