182 Engine..Lycoming or Continental?

I have been looking at 182s lately. I noticed that the price differential between a 1200hr post-restart model and an updated (digital radios, GPS, couple autopilot, newish P&I) early 80s model with 7000hrs is not that great. So in a way, if this is the level of plane you are looking into, it indeed comes down to a choice of engines.

Can you explain what a 1200hr post-restart model is..

thanks

Rick

i think he means a 182 with 1200 hrs on it that was made after cessna restarted single engine production in the mid 90's

that's what a trailer is for. it is still possible to land out in a motorglider. the engines cause a lot of drag so when you get down low and need to restart you now are sinking faster. plus the engines are usually 2 stroke and not super reliable, have been cold soaked for a few hours while flying at altitude, and might not start very easily. most of this argument falls apart if you've got an Antares electric self launch but you could by about 4 182's for that price.

I was wondering about high voltage DC and lightweight batteries, figured they were pretty dang expensive.

If you are are interested in a 182 you should:

1) Join the Cessna Pilots Association. The best place to get technical help around.
2) Get a copy of the Skylane Pilots Companion by Richard Coffey. I've got a PDF version I can try to Email to you if you want. It's a big file (11 megs), but there should be a way.

Great plane.

Dan,

Thanks for those pics and discussion about carb ice. Informative for sure. I'll read up some more on that.

Rick

If you are are interested in a 182 you should:

1) Join the Cessna Pilots Association. The best place to get technical help around.
2) Get a copy of the Skylane Pilots Companion by Richard Coffey. I've got a PDF version I can try to Email to you if you want. It's a big file (11 megs), but there should be a way.

Great plane.

Isn't that copyright protected?

Back