182 Engine..Lycoming or Continental?

R

RocketRick

Hey.

New member here. Rick..

I was looking into getting a 182 and swaw that in 1977, 1978, 1980, 1996, 2001 Cessna put Lycoming engines in some of their 182s.

I was wondering if many folk here favor the Lycoming over the Continental engines?

thanks

Rick
:wink2:

- Up to '84 (or whenever they stopped making them), all fixed gear 182s had O470 Continental engines (235hp).
Some of these have been converted to O520 (250hp) , IO520 (260-275hp) and IO550 (300hp) engines (all Continental or Conti derivatives).

- The retract 182 had a 0540 Lycoming engines (or TO540 for the Turbo).

- The 'post restart' 182s either have IO 540 or TIO 540 Lycoming engines.

As Weilke said, the only of the "old" 182s that had the Lycoming engines were the RGs and the Turbos, that said, I'd want one with the Lycoming because I'd want the T-182 RG. The 470 Continental and 540 Lycoming are both fine engines.

Hey.

New member here. Rick..

I was looking into getting a 182 and swaw that in 1977, 1978, 1980, 1996, 2001 Cessna put Lycoming engines in some of their 182s.

I was wondering if many folk here favor the Lycoming over the Continental engines?

thanks

Rick
:wink2:
If you are in the market for a 182 you should chose one that has a Continental or a Lycoming engine in it. :wink2:

If you are in the market for a 182 you should chose one that has a Continental or a Lycoming engine in it. :wink2:

Not the one with the Wankel rotary or Ford V8 conversion?:goofy:

John

We've had a R182T and now have an R182. The difference in operating costs is big. The turbo stresses the exhaust system a whole lot and the throttle-linked wastegate system can be troublesome. The airframe flexes through the door openings when in flight and stresses the door hinges, which crack and break. Expensive, those hinges. The main gear actuators are also prone to cracking and new castings cost over $8000 apiece. We haven't had one crack yet.

But the airplane flies wonderfully. Cessna really got the handling characteristics right with that airplane. It has a wide speed range. Vso is 37 kts, which makes for good shorter-field performance, but it also results in tire flat-spotting when the pilot lands too fast and tries to stop it with brakes when the wing is still carrying most of the weight. The airplane has powerful brakes.

The Lyc O-540 is very little trouble, but watch for older ones not built or overhauled before 1999; their valve guides are of the older material that wears considerably faster. And the engine has the dual mag that TCM recently stopped building and supporting.

Dan

Just to stoke the fire here.....

What's the story behind the old "Continental ice maker" saying about carb ice in Cont's? Different venturi in the carb or ???

Yeah it's below the engine, and doesn't get warmed by the engine like a Lyc does. You don't really want to firewall the trottle in a hurry on a real cold day. The stumble sure gets your attention.

Yeah it's below the engine, and doesn't get warmed by the engine like a Lyc does. You don't really want to firewall the trottle in a hurry on a real cold day. The stumble sure gets your attention.

The stumble isn't carb ice. It's an engine not ready for so much fuel. Opening the throttle quickly isn't a good idea on any aircraft engine; the propeller's mass prevents rapid acceleration and the cylinder pressures can get high enough, though briefly, to cause detonation and perhaps some damage.

Carb ice shows up as an RPM drop (fixed pitch) or MP drop (Constant-speed). If it won't idle it's probably collecting ice. If the engine won't come to its usual RPM on the takeoff roll it might have ice and it would be best to stop right there. And I've seen Lycomings ice up on a summer morning when the humidity was high enough and the oil sump, where the carb is attached, still cold. Carb ice gets an awful lot of unwary pilots. They don't understand it and don't know the conditions in which it can occur.

Dan

The stumble isn't carb ice. It's an engine not ready for so much fuel. Opening the throttle quickly isn't a good idea on any aircraft engine; the propeller's mass prevents rapid acceleration and the cylinder pressures can get high enough, though briefly, to cause detonation and perhaps some damage.

Carb ice shows up as an RPM drop (fixed pitch) or MP drop (Constant-speed). If it won't idle it's probably collecting ice. If the engine won't come to its usual RPM on the takeoff roll it might have ice and it would be best to stop right there. And I've seen Lycomings ice up on a summer morning when the humidity was high enough and the oil sump, where the carb is attached, still cold. Carb ice gets an awful lot of unwary pilots. They don't understand it and don't know the conditions in which it can occur.

Dan

I understand what carb ice is and does, I was just curious why Cont's got a bad rap for being more prone to carb ice than Lyc's. I guess I've never seen a Cont. un-cowled to be able to see the different layout of the carb placement. Interesting.

The best way to prevent carb ice --- fly behind FI engines. :D

I have been looking at 182s lately. I noticed that the price differential between a 1200hr post-restart model and an updated (digital radios, GPS, couple autopilot, newish P&I) early 80s model with 7000hrs is not that great. So in a way, if this is the level of plane you are looking into, it indeed comes down to a choice of engines.

Mmmmm... The Kool-Aid is good!

jim-jones.jpg

Jim Jones likes this

I have been looking at 182s lately. I noticed that the price differential between a 1200hr post-restart model and an updated (digital radios, GPS, couple autopilot, newish P&I) early 80s model with 7000hrs is not that great. So in a way, if this is the level of plane you are looking into, it indeed comes down to a choice of engines.

I think if i was going to buy a 182 it would have to be an old narrow body straight tail. Late 50's likely. A 430W with backup nav/com in the panel and a towhook on the tail. Quite possibly the perfect airplane :)

I think if i was going to buy a 182 it would have to be an old narrow body straight tail. Late 50's likely. A 430W with backup nav/com in the panel and a towhook on the tail. Quite possibly the perfect airplane :)

You still need a pilot. Why not get a self-launch motorglider ?

motorgliders can get pretty expensive as far as initial purchase cost. probably at least as much as a 182 for something with fair performance. and unless i really went wild and got a Stemme or something i'd still need an airplane for travelling.

any private pilot can be a towpilot.

He has Leah. They can give each other tows. No need for a motor glider.:wink2:

That, or any private pilot sitting around who wanted to do a little flying could give us both tows.

motorgliders can get pretty expensive as far as initial purchase cost. probably at least as much as a 182 for something with fair performance. and unless i really went wild and got a Stemme or something i'd still need an airplane for travelling.

I'll need a 182 just to get TO my glider :cryin: .

I understand what carb ice is and does, I was just curious why Cont's got a bad rap for being more prone to carb ice than Lyc's. I guess I've never seen a Cont. un-cowled to be able to see the different layout of the carb placement. Interesting.

Here's a shot of an old Continental A-65, but the carb placement is pretty much the same on all the carbed Continentals. The carb is on a "spider," a manifold that is held to the crankcase by a couple of studs. Carb way down at the bottom.

cont_a65.jpg

Now, a Lycoming has its carb bolted to the bottom or bacak of the oil sump, and the hot oil warms the carb body enough for most ice prevention, not all. Can't get complacent.

Now, in the attached thumbnail, see the carb attached to the bottom of the oil sump. Think what happens when that oil temp gets to 200°C.

When a Continental and Lycoming sit side-by-side overnight and start the next morning, any carb ice problems will the the same until the Lyc's oil warms up. A pilot still needs to check the temp-dewpoint spread and stay aware of what the risks might be.

Dan

Attachments

• FXRN Tailpost repair 009.jpg
    FXRN Tailpost repair 009.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

any private pilot can be a towpilot.

+1
The saying goes something like the Motorglider engine costs about the same as a towplane.

i.e. The gliders that are sold with and without an engine, the price difference would likely buy a towplane, and that is used prices.

Brian

+1
The saying goes something like the Motorglider engine costs about the same as a towplane.

i.e. The gliders that are sold with and without an engine, the price difference would likely buy a towplane, and that is used prices.

The towplane isn't going to pick you up and bring you home if you miscalculated trip and weather (unless you land on an airport of course).

I think they are pretty neat.

The towplane isn't going to pick you up and bring you home if you miscalculated trip and weather (unless you land on an airport of course).

that's what a trailer is for. it is still possible to land out in a motorglider. the engines cause a lot of drag so when you get down low and need to restart you now are sinking faster. plus the engines are usually 2 stroke and not super reliable, have been cold soaked for a few hours while flying at altitude, and might not start very easily. most of this argument falls apart if you've got an Antares electric self launch but you could by about 4 182's for that price.

It's also interesting to me that the occurrence of carb ice varies widely from engine to engine even if they're set up exactly the same. I've never experienced ice. And yet I know some '58 C182A's that ice up regularly. The climates are the same or similar.

Go figure.

It's also interesting to me that the occurrence of carb ice varies widely from engine to engine even if they're set up exactly the same. I've never experienced ice. And yet I know some '58 C182A's that ice up regularly. The climates are the same or similar.

Go figure.

Some of that variation has to do with leakage in the airbox. Some of them are so clumsily made that they'll allow considerable hot air into the carb even when they're set for cold. And some have great gaps and holes in them so that they'll not only suck warm air from inside the cowling, but they'll suck dirty air, too, even if there's a good filter on the front. Even a cheap car has a better air cleaner setup than some certified airplanes.

A particular carb model will have the same pressure drop in the venturi no matter what serial number, but there can be variations in both idle and cruise mixture settings that can lead to more or less tendency to ice up. The pressure drop causes a temp drop, and the vaporization of the fuel causes a bigger temp drop. Mogas vaporizes faster and causes more ice.

No two airplanes will be exactly the same, nor will any two pilots and their management of mixture and their recognition of carb ice (or lack of recognition).

Dan

Very True, motorgliders are convienent compared to a pure glider.

However like airplane ownership one doesn't buy one because it is more economical, it is the other factors that make them worth the additional cost.

Brian

Very True, motorgliders are convienent compared to a pure glider.

However like airplane ownership one doesn't buy one because it is more economical, it is the other factors that make them worth the additional cost.

Brian

While you can probably buy a 182 in addition to a conventional glider, I suspect the annual operating cost of a entire separate powered plane is going to be higher than the cost of maintaining the engine on a self-launch powered glider.

If you have other uses for the powered plane, sure you have another plane.

The convenience and flexibility are undoubtedly higher with the motorglider.

that's what a trailer is for. it is still possible to land out in a motorglider. the engines cause a lot of drag so when you get down low and need to restart you now are sinking faster. plus the engines are usually 2 stroke and not super reliable, have been cold soaked for a few hours while flying at altitude, and might not start very easily. most of this argument falls apart if you've got an Antares electric self launch but you could by about 4 182's for that price.

Plus with a tow hook on your 182 you can tow the Alero home when it breaks down.

naw the Alero has been retired from towing after the hitch pulled through the rusted frame last year in the middle of a field in south central kansas.

in fact it has practically been retired from driving lately. i need to get some air in the tires and figure out why they all seem to have a slow leak. probably corrosion on the aluminum wheels i suppose. and i think it needs a new EGR controller as i had a check engine light on that once and it stumbles a bit at low RPM.

Actually the EGR valve probably just needs to be cleaned. Mine coked up about a month ago, and an hour of soaking in in Berryman B12 Chemtool cleaned it right up.

Well, what would you rather have, one of those Rotax engines that sounds like a snowmobile? :D

Nah, the two-disc rotary that sounds like a little turbine.

Or, how about a Jet engine:

40faaf3cfb.jpg

Back