182 Damage update

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Still no pictures, but an update on the events. The Sabreliner was chocked (both main gear) but not tied down about 80 yards away from our 182. The wind blew the jet over the chocks, and across the 80 yards.

Impact was pretty much nose to nose. One of the three 182 prop blades went up into the front gear well of the jet, and the jet nose rode up the 182 nose. The jet's nose gear was about 8" off the ground, leaving a good bit of weight on the nose of the 182. Both wing tiedowns broke when the planes hit. The 182 nose gear was completely compressed and visibly bent.

The Sabreliner supposedly had very minor damage and has already been flown on a ferry permit to a repair facility.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Keep up to date. I was on the ramp one windy day (reading the POH of the 172RG) and saw an unchocked KingAir 200 start to roll. The ramp kidz excitedly chocked *all* the wheels.

Are flight school had 2 planes damaged in a microburst at RDU. One was a total loss, it was the one I had gotten my PPL in.

Bill Jennings said:
Still no pictures, but an update on the events. The Sabreliner was chocked (both main gear) but not tied down about 80 yards away from our 182. The wind blew the jet over the chocks, and across the 80 yards.

Impact was pretty much nose to nose. One of the three 182 prop blades went up into the front gear well of the jet, and the jet nose rode up the 182 nose. The jet's nose gear was about 8" off the ground, leaving a good bit of weight on the nose of the 182. Both wing tiedowns broke when the planes hit. The 182 nose gear was completely compressed and visibly bent.

The Sabreliner supposedly had very minor damage and has already been flown on a ferry permit to a repair facility.

I think you want to be looking very hard for firewall and wing spar damage. Assuming you had stout tiedowns, the force necessary to break them is likely to have exceeded the 182's structural design limits in peculiar directions.

lancefisher said:
I think you want to be looking very hard for firewall and wing spar damage. Assuming you had stout tiedowns, the force necessary to break them is likely to have exceeded the 182's structural design limits in peculiar directions.

I was thinking the same, if it is repaired, will you trust the plane? If I were the club and/or insurance co, would I want the liability if a family went in after the wings folded up? I'm really hoping mr insurance man writes us a check and we go plane shopping.

Back