182 Crash in Los Angeles

If (and that's a big 'if') the Flightaware data is accurate, his groundspeed never wavered from around 145-150 knots, from the time he started the descent from 5,000 to 4,000 about 5 nm southeast of SLI, until the end of the track. My tendency would have been to slow it down that close to the destination, and especially while being vectored away from the destination and toward higher terrain.

145-150 isn't that hot, not sure what VFE VLE is on one of those, but that's a very manageable speed and something I'd hold till near the FAF or later, depending.

145-150 isn't that hot, not sure what VFE VLE is on one of those, but that's a very manageable speed and something I'd hold till near the FAF or later, depending.

While flying away from the airport for sequencing? I slow to slow cruise for that. No point in getting too far away.

VNY was my home airport in the 70's and got my instrument rating there. I'm sure the stories were exaggerated but supposedly quite a few people have been "vectored" into those mountains. We didn't have the devices then that we have now - moving maps - so today there's no excuse for running into a mountain. Back when I flew out of VNY I learned to always keep a picture in my head of where I am in relation to the geography around me. Actually, I have always done that since I first learned to fly in Anchorage AK . . . but getting an IR in an environment surrounded by mountains - LA in general and the SF Valley in particular - was a daily reminder to keep that picture sharp and to not trust ATC to keep me from hitting them. RIP.

Back