182 check out

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I am very excited as a new pilot (PPL 8/5/12) to move up from a 172 to a 182.
I am going for my first training flight on Monday.
To temper my enthusiasm, I thought I would ask you my fellow pilots for any suggestions, things to look for and/or make sure I don't miss.
It has an Aspen and Garmin 696.
I am sure it is lots of reading and learning.:yikes:

What year is it? Is it fixed gear or retractable.

Biggest difference between the 182 and the 172 is the constant speed prop, which is pretty simple once you get used to it, and it is definitely front heavy compared to the 182. It goes faster, so your speeds are slightly different.

I did the same as you and had about 5 hours of dual before I was signed off.

Congrats and enjoy you new plane. Remember it is supposed to be fun and it will be.

Doug

Enjoy it. 182s are fun birds, flies the same as a 172 pretty much besides the CS prop. It's a little heavier on the controls but not much. It also has MOOO POWWAAAHHHHH

Ron;

Thanks for those links...

Dakota Lynn;

Also go to the Aspen site and download their manual. It will be a start on learning the layout and buttonology.

The aspen is going to be the biggest change; if you keep the airplane in trim, the 182 is a well balance airplane and doesn't have a heavy nose on landing.

Trim.

/thread

Rajaaaaaaah

Trim is your friend in the 182. You will learn this quickly.

As noted, there are some extra controls you don't have in a normal 172. Prop is just one of them. Cowl flaps are also important and you'll watch the cylinder head temp guage (which any 172 I've flown lacks).

They are nose heavy compared with the 172. Protect your firewall.

One other key difference. There's a lot more room in a 182 and you won't be shoulder to shoulder with the person in the right seat. I love the 182.

As others have said:
use trim
download and read the avionics manuals
engine management, constant speed prop & cowl flaps (Deakin is good)
right rudder
and you are now free to move about the cabin!

182s are great overall planes!

As noted, there are some extra controls you don't have in a normal 172. Prop is just one of them. Cowl flaps are also important and you'll watch the cylinder head temp guage (which any 172 I've flown lacks).

One other key difference. There's a lot more room in a 182 and you won't be shoulder to shoulder with the person in the right seat. I love the 182.

Once you get the hang of when you open/close the cowls it becomes habit, much more so than trim IMO. For me I think the biggest thing with the prop was having to read 2 gauges instead of one. But with only a couple hours and some t/o and landings it became habit quickly. Protecting the firewall is very easy if you trim. Trim for landing and it will make the flare worlds easier. Don't think "I can muscle this no problem" because your landings will suffer and you'll give yourself the gift of a bent firewall. :yikes:

I love the 182. I have taken it halfway across the country, and have been using it exclusively (my club also has a Warrior) for all the Pilots n Paws flights I've been doing lately. It's comfortable, goes fast enough to actually get someplace, and you can load it to the gills and it'll still climb with room to spare.

And yeah, if you fail to trim properly, and get too slow on landing, it's easy to drop it on the nosegear. In fact, if you're buying a 182, make sure the firewall and nosegear have been repaired properly, because it's tough to find an older Skylane that hasn't had firewall damage from this exact mishap.

In addition to the resources already mentioned, look for:

A publication called "Cessna 182 Skylane Safety Highlights" published by USAIG (the insurance company).

"The Skylane Pilot's Companion" by Richard Coffey (I have the Kindle eBook)

Sorry I don't have links. But both should be easy to find.

What year is it? Is it fixed gear or retractable.

Biggest difference between the 182 and the 172 is the constant speed prop, which is pretty simple once you get used to it, and it is definitely front heavy compared to the 182. It goes faster, so your speeds are slightly different.

I did the same as you and had about 5 hours of dual before I was signed off.

Congrats and enjoy you new plane. Remember it is supposed to be fun and it will be.

Doug

Its a 94 Fixed Gear. I am expecting to have 3 to 5 hours of dual.

Thank you

I love the 182. I have taken it halfway across the country, and have been using it exclusively (my club also has a Warrior) for all the Pilots n Paws flights I've been doing lately. It's comfortable, goes fast enough to actually get someplace, and you can load it to the gills and it'll still climb with room to spare.

And yeah, if you fail to trim properly, and get too slow on landing, it's easy to drop it on the nosegear. In fact, if you're buying a 182, make sure the firewall and nosegear have been repaired properly, because it's tough to find an older Skylane that hasn't had firewall damage from this exact mishap.

In addition to the resources already mentioned, look for:

A publication called "Cessna 182 Skylane Safety Highlights" published by USAIG (the insurance company).

"The Skylane Pilot's Companion" by Richard Coffey (I have the Kindle eBook)

Sorry I don't have links. But both should be easy to find.

My wife's family has an annual family reunion in Penn Yan. We are thinking about flying there next year.

Can you learn the Aspen in another aircraft?

Particularly if it's tied to a GPS, there is a lot there without dealing with learning a new, very different, aircraft as well.

I suppose you can ignore the Aspen and just use it like a DG you don't have to adjust, until you're comfy with the aircraft.

My wife's family has an annual family reunion in Penn Yan. We are thinking about flying there next year.

That's a nice airport; I've been in there several times. And, if you need an engine overhauled while you're there, they can do that too! :)

Me too.

But to your first statement: We all have busy schedules, and sometimes fitting in a visit to the gym and a flight, all in the same day, just isn't possible. So you might consider not touching the trim! You'll combine a flight with a great upper-body workout!

Well, I just got back from my first 182 flight. My club requires 5 hours dual and the HP endorsement to be able to take it out solo, and my sons bought me 2 hours with the new CFI for my birthday - so today I flew the 182Q for the first time.

I have to say... I LOVE that plane! SO much nicer than the 172. Climbs well, flies well, more stable, faster. I didn't have to do much with the cowl flaps, as it's around 40 F today. The vernier controls for mixture and prop are nice, the extra elbow room is nice.

We did a little maneuvering, steeps turns, etc. Then we headed for Fremont (KFET) and did half a dozen T&G and I had no problem flaring... didn't have to use what I considered to be a whole lot of trim, although it does respond well to trim. I learned that no-flap landings are super nice (this plane has a STOL kit, which may be why). I also learned that I neither need nor particularly want full flaps... they're drag monsters and way more flap than it feels like the plane needs. 20 degrees is plenty.

Then we headed back to Millard, did an RNAV approach - my first, but I wasn't wearing foggles, just learning how it works. 10 mile final, no-flap landing, and boy, does this thing drink avgas. I can see now I'll be using the 172 for stuff that needs to be done cheaply -- but if I'm going somewhere or hauling passengers, it's going to be in the 182. It's like moving up from a subcompact to an SUV.

While 20 degrees is more than enough in most cases, I have found that full flaps on short final makes for a little bit more smooth landing and will help keep the nose off the ground a little longer. I don't mind no-flap landings, but then you're coming in fast which isn't a great practice unless it's really gusty.

Me too.

But to your first statement: We all have busy schedules, and sometimes fitting in a visit to the gym and a flight, all in the same day, just isn't possible. So you might consider not touching the trim! You'll combine a flight with a great upper-body workout!

Surely you jest!
Although I can muscle a 182 in landing attitude, it ain't pretty.

I agree it could be an an crunching work out. I was looking at the size of the shft on the yoke WOWOWW.

I too will use the 172 for short excursions but to Florida yes sir it's the 182.

Surely you jest!
Although I can muscle a 182 in landing attitude, it ain't pretty.

I do jest! :wink2:

One can ignore the trim in a C150, but by the time you get to a Skylane, it is far easier to spin the wheel!

Heh... it's the trim...

Wheel... Of... Fortune!

If you don't spin it, you can't win the "that was a nice landing" prize. :)

Back