1800wxBrief

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
Overall I think this is a pretty good way to self-brief... I tried the Easy Activate-Easy-Close the other day, for the first time... It didn't work in that it did not send me the texts to my phone... I Activated and Closed using the links on the site, but was pretty disappointed in the rest of the process... I checked and all is set up right and the test works just fine... Anybody ever use this service (VFR)?

Is their alternate number still up? 1-800-VFR-NOT-RECOMMENDED :D

I do have to say that the new Lockmart website is actually pretty good.

I set myself up for txt's but haven't used it yet. isn't there a 'test' feature? I don't recall..........

I guess I'll make the mandatory FltPlan.com for the win post :)

FlySince9 -- When able, call the 1-800-WxBrief and discuss the situation with the briefer who answers the phone. They are knowledgeable about the system to help set up your pilot profile. So there should be someone on duty that can help you troubleshoot your situation.

I still call them and find wxbrief to be a good tool.

They do act like moderate turbulence is going to rip the wings off and kill you.

the 1800wxbrief website is probably one of the best out there now for self briefing weather and filing your flight plan. of course duat or duats or csc or whatever one of them was called is closed and the other one is still up but they both stunk anyways.

to elaborate on why I like it -
if you fill out the flight plan form you can get point briefings for your take off and landing times and adjust if needed. then you can adjust your planned altitude similarly. then once you finalize that and actually self brief it automagically highlights your 123 rule on the TAFs.

biggest complaint I could make is that their Navlog is formatted for a whole page instead of a kneeboard size.

Last edited:
The site is great. Used it for the first time the other day, didn't even know it existed till someone mentioned it.. Signed up for the fight plan alerts, hope they work! Will report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still call before each flight. It's become part of my routine! I like talking to an actual person.

I use it, but the one time I attempted to access it from my cell phone to open my flight plan, I got bit. I had filed my VFR flight plan earlier. Once in the air, I accessed the web site and opened my flight plan just fine, but there was apparently no option to set the time I had taken off, which was about 29 minutes later than estimated on the flight plan I had filed. Thus, I landed at my destination 29 minutes "late" and was 31 minutes "overdue" when I emerged from the men's room at the FBO and tried to close the flight plan. Online, I could not even access it, so I called in and was told that I could not close it because it had been sent to S&R due to my lateness. So it seems like the best option is to file from the website but open your flight plan over the radio.

Leaving that aside, I use the briefing features for every cross-country flight. I get an outlook briefing and then schedule an e-mailed standard briefing for maybe an hour before I need to decide between flying and alternatives.

Back