177 down Torrance SoCal

Always sad to see a crash with a fatality. I am always also sad to see a Cardinal destroyed.

Ugh, terrible! I passed by there several times this past July and noticed there wasn’t many options if the mill puked.

Hate to see this!

My instructor taught me when I line up to take off, not only say lights, camera, and action but include "immediately push nose down if loss of power".

Every time I take off I brief. Taking off from my home drone the brief goes "if i loose the engine here its going to really hurt". Not a lot of options. I didn't get into this because it was safe.

What does lights, camera, action mean anyway???
This is just before pulling forward from the run up area on to the runway

Lights - turn strobes on
Camera - Transponder on
Action - prop full forward and mixture full forward (or proper place for DA)

Flown in and out a few times to visit a client, going east there's not much. Maybe they were trying for Crenshaw.

"Left a hole in the hearts ..."
How about "left a hole in the roof"? No disrespect meant. If you look at the pictures, the impact had so much energy, the airplane made a vertical hole in the roof of the nail salon. This was no flat spin. He went in nose first.
No mayday calls to the tower, btw? Does anybody have any more information?
R.I.P.

Btw, sale reported and the airplane registration was updated to the new owner just this Monday. His instructor on camera said that the pilot was experienced and flew a lot of different airplanes.
Again, R.I.P. I hope the passenger pulls through.

Every time I take off I brief. Taking off from my home drone the brief goes "if i loose the engine here its going to really hurt". Not a lot of options. I didn't get into this because it was safe.

If you “loose” the engine at any time your cg is gonna be way aft and there’s gonna be a whole lot of problems!

I’ve always thought those acronyms are pretty corny. Just follow the dang checklist!

I say it in my head right after I get takeoff clearance (towered) or enter the runway (untowered). Lights (landing light), camera (transponder code entered and set to altitude encoding) action (carb heat off mixture full rich). And I follow it with traffic and time... one final check for traffic on final/opposite final and start the timing.

Just something I learned from my CFI and it works for me for the final, pre takeoff checklist. Then, once actually in the takeoff roll, gauges green, airspeed alive...

Back