177 crash on Hawaii Five-0 TV show

bfergie10

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
B. Ferguson
So did anyone else catch this episode on Monday night? The show began with a plane crashing in the ocean. I didn't get a good look at it other than I knew it was a cantilever high wing, retract. They later identified the plane as a Cessna 177. My first thought was, "Great, they at least got that part right."

They went on to say that the plane had a fuel capacity of 3 hours. I know nothing about Cardinals, but that sounded low to me. I don't really care though when tv shows or movies fudge a little here or there for the story. But then they recovered the black box(with the requisite joke about it being orange) and were able to determine when the auto-pilot was engaged and that a door was opened during flight shortly after.

A black box... in a Cessna.... Really? :lol:

I'd expect a Cessna 177 to have more like 60+ gallon tanks or about 6 hours of endurance... Maybe that's only the version with LR tanks though.

But then they recovered the black box(with the requisite joke about it being orange) and were able to determine when the auto-pilot was engaged and that a door was opened during flight shortly after.

It's a good thing I never had a black box in my Cherokee, or I would have crashed every time the door popped open in flight.

It also records cockpit conversations without the use of headsets with no background noise and when the door opens it does not muse up anyone's hair.

I'd expect a Cessna 177 to have more like 60+ gallon tanks or about 6 hours of endurance... Maybe that's only the version with LR tanks though.
It's the vast majority of all Cardinal RGs ever built though. Only the first year, 1971, had the 51 gallon capacity. The '72 through '78 years could all carry 61 gallons of fuel.

Of course, the endurance depends on how you manage your fuel burn. I flight plan for 5 hours with full tanks ('76 RG), though I get about 10-11 gal/hr. But if you run full rich all the time, 3 hours is about what you can expect.

Good point....was this the original Hawaii Five-O from the 70's or have they remade that one too?

My assumption was that the "show" is the remake, not the original.

It's a remake and my wife and I are watching (although I went to bed last night - we have a DVR). I'm enjoying it and particularly the interesting ways they bring parts of the original series into it. The opening credits sequence is an update of the original - same buildings, places and shots but current and with the new cast. The building where 5-0 is based is the same exterior as the original - but current shots. Since I remember enjoying the original series when it was new (as a child, mind you) I'm enjoying this one as well.

John

Not only does the 177RG have a flight data recorder, the NTSB just hands it over to 5-O without even examining it. This even before it was determined a homicide (by deadly puffer fish poison no less) had occurred.

After determining when the door of the aircraft was opened from the FDR, they drive out to the dense jungle and find the parachute and a motorcycle track from which the investigator is immediately able to tell the make and model of the rare motorcycle the murderer placed in advance for his escape.

I like the old "book-em Dano" series better--it was more believable.

It's the vast majority of all Cardinal RGs ever built though. Only the first year, 1971, had the 51 gallon capacity. The '72 through '78 years could all carry 61 gallons of fuel.

Of course, the endurance depends on how you manage your fuel burn. I flight plan for 5 hours with full tanks ('76 RG), though I get about 10-11 gal/hr. But if you run full rich all the time, 3 hours is about what you can expect.

How many people in the plane? You'd never have full fuel with 2 or more people and baggage...

FYI, I just finished watching it on DVI and he said the plane had a 4 hour range not 3 as was reported in the OP.

It's a remake and my wife and I are watching (although I went to bed last night - we have a DVR). I'm enjoying it and particularly the interesting ways they bring parts of the original series into it. The opening credits sequence is an update of the original - same buildings, places and shots but current and with the new cast. The building where 5-0 is based is the same exterior as the original - but current shots. Since I remember enjoying the original series when it was new (as a child, mind you) I'm enjoying this one as well.

John

I assume they don't still have the shots of the card sorter that always kicked out the short list of suspects...

I assume they don't still have the shots of the card sorter that always kicked out the short list of suspects...

Blast from the past!

As if, somewhere, there is a big deck of punch cards, one each for everyone's name, just waiting to be sorted out by some magical elctro-magical algorithm thingie.

All the clattering and blinky lights, then a card pops into a hopper, and they reverently pick it up, knowing the answer is *right there*!

Was Komo in it? Wo Fat?

Nope. It was Tu Hung Lo.

What he said. We have a 1976 C-177B with 60 USEABLE. I could make it from Hartford, CT to Bermuda with a tail wind and no reserve. Actually did the flight plan, haven't tried it out, saving that as last ditch type of thing.. no pun intended..

<---<^>--->

Blast from the past!

As if, somewhere, there is a big deck of punch cards, one each for everyone's name, just waiting to be sorted out by some magical elctro-magical algorithm thingie.

All the clattering and blinky lights, then a card pops into a hopper, and they reverently pick it up, knowing the answer is *right there*!

Aren't you thinking of "Numbers"? :D

John

Last edited:
Was Komo in it? Wo Fat?

Wo Fat is this series' super villain but it's an ongoing plot device with bits spread out through most of the shows from last season into this.

As I remember the original (I didn't look it up in wikipedia or the imdb) there were two 3 episode threads with Wo Fat, one was "The 90 Second War" where Wo Fat pulled an elaborate scheme to get 90 seconds of down time for the Pacific radar coverage so China could test a rocket without surveillance. The second (don't remember the name) was smuggling military secrets to China by killing elderly Chinese and placing the secrets in their coffins which were then shipped back. I _think_ Wo Fat got caught at the end of that one.

John

I watched a few of the episodes. The problem I have is remakes. Aren't there enough stories out there that they could actually do something new. New shows don't last very long but it's more because they don't give them a chance; preempting them, moving them, then cancelling them because they don't draw a big enough share. MONK was cancelled by the network then had a 7 year run on USA. L&O CI was cancelled by the network and had another life TWICE on USA. L&O could have gone on forever.
The original 5-O went on for 12 years. I am quite surprised the current one lasted past the first month let alone be renewed for a new season. Then again, I could watch Grace Park (#8) all night long.

. I am quite surprised the current one lasted past the first month let alone be renewed for a new season. Then again, I could watch Grace Park (#8) all night long.

Even if Grace Park had much more on-screen time, I don't think even she could save the show from the bad bad bad acting.

1. Right away in the show he said the 177 had a "4-hour tank."
2. Not long after they are searching for, and find, the "black box" which of course is orange.
3. There is a warning light on the dash that tells you when the pilot's door is opened?
4. The black box can tell you where they were within five miles when the door was opened?

Nowhere near technically accurate, but still, I enjoy the show.

You guys are over analyzing a minute detail in what is a dumbed down, mainstream "bro" show. :D

I'm just tired of cop shows. Especially after reading what they do to families who's loved ones were murdered in the real world who found out "CSI" is only going to spend about 30 minutes on the case, if you're lucky.

You can Google for that stuff. There's societies of people who hate the portrayal that all bad guys are caught and all cops have unlimited investigative resources and brilliant minds.

Cop shows are social engineering at their finest. People think most criminals get caught. All one has to do is look at the financial industry bailouts to disprove that silly childish notion...

I'm just tired of cop shows. Especially after reading what they do to families who's loved ones were murdered in the real world who found out "CSI" is only going to spend about 30 minutes on the case, if you're lucky.
Friend of mind lost his job because he wasn't handicapped. He sued. "LA Law" used his case for an episode. The difference was, the plaintiff won on "LA Law," and my buddy lost.

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that TV doesn't care about realism. But, heck, unrealism sells a lot of soap and anti-diarrhea medicine....

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:

You can Google for that stuff. There's societies of people who hate the portrayal that all bad guys are caught and all cops have unlimited investigative resources and brilliant minds.

Cop shows are social engineering at their finest. People think most criminals get caught. All one has to do is look at the financial industry bailouts to disprove that silly childish notion...

That's what drew me to L&O originally. The bad guys sometimes did get away with it, the police used trickery, and everybody was willing to lie to win. Still, they caught way too many of the crooks vs real life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's a goofy show it's still fun to watch.

I have enough reality when I'm not sitting in front of the tv. I sure don't want much realism when i'm trying to relax at the end of the day. Come on folks, if you can't pause the DVR to elbow your wife and explain why the lines are goofy you're missing half the fun.

Back