1750 NM flight to KOSH

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
I flew to Oshkosh from Washington State and experienced every kind of terrain and most kinds of weather along the way. It took 4 days because I was slow and widespread thunderstorms shut my flying down early several days. My rear is tired and my wallet is empty but I had a great time.

Glad you made it ,did OSH from mass this year,had some difficulty with the weather myself. I'm sure when all is said and done it was worth it for you.

We have a vastly experienced canard guru that flies 100 miles past OSH to visit relatives from Phoenix....nonstop. Then back to OSH before refueling!

We have a vastly experienced canard guru that flies 100 miles past OSH to visit relatives from Phoenix....nonstop. Then back to OSH before refueling!

Dang! My Maule has long range, but not because it is efficient - it is because it holds 72 gallons when all 4 tanks are full. It is a draggy plane to push through the air though, so even leaned out ar 65% cruise power I'll burn 8 gal/hr. But I didn't buy it for its efficiency, I bought it for the short field capability and hauling capacity. I even had an espresso machine in my campsite at Oshkosh. I can "glamp" pretty darned well with this plane.

Yup, no cappuccino in a Varieze camp...!

Dang! My Maule has long range, but not because it is efficient - it is because it holds 72 gallons when all 4 tanks are full. It is a draggy plane to push through the air though, so even leaned out ar 65% cruise power I'll burn 8 gal/hr. But I didn't buy it for its efficiency, I bought it for the short field capability and hauling capacity. I even had an espresso machine in my campsite at Oshkosh. I can "glamp" pretty darned well with this plane.

That brings back some memories! I did a couple of Oshkoshs in our old MX7-180a. It is a great camping machine especially with the seats out though we never hauled an espresso machine... you are my hero!

We loved that bird and had a lot of great times. But slow can be a drag (sorry) and expensive too. Six years ago we gave up our Baby and started flying our RV10. The math surprised us. It adds 2 to 3 GPH but does 155 to 160 knots. Shorter flights and another mile per gallon. It has about the same cargo volume as the Maule and can carry more weight but definitely lacks the door access... NOTHING beats the Maule in that respect.

I made an interesting discovery during the transition; I always knew that greasers in the Maule can be elusive but I forgot how easy a good low wing cruiser can be to fly. I flew the Maule every day for 2 or 3 months before stepping into the '10 with zero minutes of time in it. I did nothing but greasers for the next 6 months and it was over a year before I managed to even get a bounce.

Maule taildragger pilots earn it on every flight. Love that Howlin' Wolf piece but I no longer rate it.

Great Post and Vid!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed the video, seems like it was a great adventure.

Nice!! And thanks for. not using Justin Beiber on the audio track!

Where's home base in WA?

Is he at KDVT? If so I think I see him quite a bit here at KDVT...

Jefferson County. Very cool little airport. Flew over it last month travelling from Renton to Victoria. Was in there once about 15 years ago. Cafe was bustling, great coffee (as one would expect in that region!), lots of airplanes on the move. Hope it's still the same!

Remember chatting with a couple of retired gents who were buying and selling airplane's. Their hangar had a sign on it that said "We will sell no airplane...before we've played with it".

P.S. Looking at your map, how did you manage to go Washington State to OSH and not land in either ND or MN?

Is he at KDVT? If so I think I see him quite a bit here at KDVT...

May be. A very sleek plane with color in the stripes. Bottom cowl is sleek as heck!

Did you narrate all the water survival and flight physiology videos I had to watch back in the 70's and '80s while I was in the Navy by chance (just kidding)? Great video, very professional!

;-)

"P.S. Looking at your map, how did you manage to go Washington State to OSH and not land in either ND or MN?"

I need to update my landing map. I did stop in Minnesota, but North Dakota is easy to skip. I flew diagonally across Montana and Wyomng to get to Chief Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore monuments in South Dakota. I stopped briefly in Winner, SD for fuel then headed on to Minnesota. On the way home I slipped both South Dakota and Minnesota by flying through Iowa and Nebraska and crossing the mountains in Wyoming and Utah.

Awesome vid. Brings back memories from few months back when I flew from Washington to midwest, over cascade, then billings... beautiful journey and one that I will remember for a very long time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back