172SP + Garmin 696 in a Airgizmos

andyman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
andy
I don't post here often but I thought I'd share this since I just got it installed in my 172sp. I haven't seen any other 172s with a 696 and let me tell you its not an easy install. The unit is fairly large and the yoke gets in the way. As you can see from the picture, this is the only location available to mount the airgizmos. I've got the angle bracket installed too. It looks like a far reach but its really not that bad on the pilot seat. I can reach the controls on the 696 easily. The hobbs and elt switch had to be moved as you can see in the picture. Overall I'm pretty happy with the setup. Cheapest MFD a person can ask for. And since the 696 can run on batteries, if the electrical goes out I still have my gps.

784sp_i.jpg

Nice installation! I see you have a Garmin transponder. Is it wired to feed TIS to the 696?

You'll have to post some larger pictures of it all.

I fly a 172SP as well, looks nice, and in reach. Shame it couldn't have been a little more left and higher where those two little items are, could have made an easier view.

How do you like it overall?

Oh,.. and Welcome to the POA!

Regarding TIS. Yes I have a GTX330 and TIS is available on both 430W and 696. Regarding being all the way over to the right side.. I actually don't mind too much. The screen is soo large its easily readable. But I personally would have liked it way more over to the left. I think it just needed about 1/2" or so of clearence so it just missed it. Oh well. Atleast now I can read my hobbs meter easily.

Cool! Please post some larger, higher resolution pix. I've been looking at this exact installation (I've currently got the 496 panel docked in an Airgizmo) for our Pathfinder.

Thanks!

How's that work out for you, way over on the right like that? Do you have a passenger that is able to adjust pages and settings for you? I just imagine it would be nigh on impossible to effectively use single pilot, being way over there.

Is there any way to mount it up high on the left side somehow?

it is a bit of a stretch but it really isn't that bad. I'm 5'5 with short arm spam and I can reach it. Viewing is really easy since its a huge screen. I'm comfortable zooming in and out while flying but I don't think I could really dive into the unit while flying. I only had 1 flight with it in turbulent weather so far (15Kts G 23kts) and it wasn't really that bad. The 172S cockpit is so small anyway!

And for everyones future reference, there is NO way to move it more to the left. There is no clearance from the yoke to the top. I was lucky to get it in there the way it is. You'll need to move the radio trays behind there to make this work.

In the end I think its still worth it. To add to this, I also noticed that the Airgizmo panel dock covers the power switch and the data card slot. So if you want to update the database or turn off the unit you can't without removing the 696. The 696 will turn off when external power is removed but if you accidentally hit a key it will stay on. To fix these 2 problems was real easy. I just went to home depot, bought a lithium powered dremel and I cut out a notch for the SD memory card and I got out a slot for the power button. Now I've got the BEST damn 696 install ever!

That looks great!

Hello fellow pilots, I just finished building a bracket to mount my Garmin 696 to the right of the Radio Stack,this is on a 2000 172SP similar to the one above but next to the radio stack with room to connect the cables and SD card, I'm 3/4 to the right of the stack and raised out 5/8 on the left side, on the right I'm raised 1 7/8" from the back panel.:D I'm Happy as a pig in s...t :)

I just signed up so I dont know if I can post some pictures I took with my phone.

The pictures show that my Hobbs and ELT switch is to the far right...that made things easier, I suspect that this bracket will work for other similar AC as long as the right side is fairly empty.
Happy landings to all

Last edited:
picture.php
Hope this shows the images...
c:\users\user\desktop
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Back