172S Wing Dent

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I refused a rental last Sunday because of a shallow (1/2" ) palm sized dent on the top inbd corner of the taxi/landing light panel. No one there knew anything about it.

I called today and was told that it's been there for a few years their mechanic long ago determined it was within limits.

I'm curious and haven't got access to Structural Repair Manual. Is a dent on the top of the wing camber, as described, plausibly within limits, never to be repaired?

It seems like they would at least fix it during an annual.

I haven't been flying this aircraft much in the past few years. I don't remember it being there from a few years back.

I try to make sure I step back and eyeball the overall airplane from a distance and when I'm up top checking the fuel, which is how I noticed this one.

Thanks

Not sure of the answer(a picture may be helpful), but when I rented if there was something that made me uncomfortable with the plane, I either did not fly or found something else to rent.

One of the planes I have has a pretty good sized dent on the top of the aileron. I noticed one day preflighting and asked my instructor about it. He said that an avionics Tech was working on the plane and had to remove the aileron for something and he dropped it. This putting a pretty good sized dent in it. They inspected the dent and found it to be within spec. So there must be some section in the manual that allows a small tolerance for deformities on the wing.

I didn't think to grab a photo. I doubt I'll be in a position to grab one for a while. I worked sheetmetal in Eastern Airlines Miami overhaul hanger for a couple years and I work next to airline structural engineers now. So I have some idea how it goes.

I wouldn't take an airplane like that if it hasn't been evaluated and found within limits (and no collateral cracks and whatnot).

I doubt there is a Configuration Deviation List for a 172, but a dent on the top of the wing leading edge must have some impact on the lift too.

If not sharp and not affecting any underlying structure it is likely airworthy, but I cannot say 100% without the plane

... I worked sheetmetal in Eastern Airlines Miami overhaul hanger for a couple years and I work next to airline structural engineers now. So I have some idea how it goes.

Hmmm. Back in the early 80's when the three pot smokin A&P's left the oil drain plugs off the 3 engined jet L-1011 ??? and almost killed 170 + people???

Hmmm. Back in the early 80's when the three pot smokin A&P's left the oil drain plugs off the 3 engined jet L-1011 ??? and almost killed 170 + people???

I met the guy that was blamed for that after the strike. We were all working at local Part 145 Repair Stations. He was actually a very knowledgeable mechanic and even beat me out of a job with a contractor in Panama.

The NTSB report is still available, it's a pretty good read. Given there was a history of about 20 RB211-212 inflight shutdowns from MCD plugs, I felt those things should never have been changed on all three engines at the same time. Of course, those plugs had to be changed every 25 hours because the engine design was so poor.

I believe it was the first triple spool fan and the engine bearings would tend to starve for oil. At least one did in the #2 position, softened the shaft and let the fan loose in the aft fuselage. Good thing one of the 4 elevator hydraulic lines survived.

That guy looked pretty straight to me when I met him.

if you are an A&P, just pop the wing tip off and stick a small ballpeen in there and pop it out yourself and sign it off . . . go fly.

I met the guy that was blamed for that after the strike. We were all working at local Part 145 Repair Stations. He was actually a very knowledgeable mechanic and even beat me out of a job with a contractor in Panama.

The NTSB report is still available, it's a pretty good read. Given there was a history of about 20 RB211-212 inflight shutdowns from MCD plugs, I felt those things should never have been changed on all three engines at the same time. Of course, those plugs had to be changed every 25 hours because the engine design was so poor.

I believe it was the first triple spool fan and the engine bearings would tend to starve for oil. At least one did in the #2 position, softened the shaft and let the fan loose in the aft fuselage. Good thing one of the 4 elevator hydraulic lines survived.

IIRC.. They all admitted during the NTSB investigation of consuming THC the day/night of the "event".... Then the local union stepped in to protect their rank and file.... and once again... IIRC.. all three were sent to remedial training without a pay cut, or even a suspension and all continued to work at EAL till it folded..... I remember that event as I was driving back toward Miami on the Mc Arthur causeway when it passed over head, parallel to government cut, trying to get back to MIA.. And it was spewing ALOT of sparks out of the motors as it was headed west..... That was one scary sight for sure..:yes::hairraise::yikes:

I'd be interested to know the percentage of Cessnas have dings and dents in the corrugated flight controls. Based on those I've owned it's ~85%.

Do you have a link to the ntsb report?

if you are an A&P, just pop the wing tip off and stick a small ballpeen in there and pop it out yourself and sign it off . . . go fly.

I haven't done any hands on work in years and didn't really didn't start looking at GA airplanes until I started flying about 5 years ago.

Nowadays I spend my time handling Avionics Engineering reaction work for a mixed fleet of commercial jets.

It wouldn't have been practical anyway. Airplane was at a field an hour away, a rental, and I had no tools with me.

As matter of principle I would not start taking parts off an airplane operated by local business.

I probably will start getting back into it when I buy something, but that's still some months away.

Last edited:
Back