172R fuel totalizer STC?

airguy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
airguy
I want to add an accurate fuel-flow and totalizer to a 172R. Can anyone point me to a good STC source for that?

I want to add an accurate fuel-flow and totalizer to a 172R. Can anyone point me to a good STC source for that?
I'm happy with JPI's FS450 in my Cessna 172n

You should strongly consider a full engine monitor with fuel totalizer option if you don't already have a monitor installed.

You should strongly consider a full engine monitor with fuel totalizer option if you don't already have a monitor installed.

I've already got the full engine monitor from JPI - just very VERY tired of the inaccurate sloppy fuel flow and tank quantity gauges from the factory. I'll look at upgrading the current JPI which is only CHT/EGT to the full monitor with fuel totalizer.

I've already got the full engine monitor from JPI - just very VERY tired of the inaccurate sloppy fuel flow and tank quantity gauges from the factory. I'll look at upgrading the current JPI which is only CHT/EGT to the full monitor with fuel totalizer.

Keep in mind the totalizer requires input with each addition of fuel. If you forget to update it, it could lead you astray. Garbage in, Garbage out, as they say.

Also, the totalizer cannot substitute for a fuel gauge. If you have a leak in the tank, or in the fuel line upstream of the transducer, the totalizer cannot account for that.

For a 172 it is kind of overkill. Having said that, it IS nice to have.

It is not overkill by any stretch of the imagination! Do you think it is because a 172 is less complex than another plane? Perhaps it is just slow enough to barely kill you when there is an engine failure? :dunno: An engine monitor's usefulness goes far beyond precise leaning measurements for more complicated engines. It aids in troubleshooting all kinds of problems.

If you already have an EDM-700, it would be probably be cheapest to get it modified by JPI, and purchase the fuel flow transducer. If you want a dedicated display, then look at the FS-450 as an additional instrument.

That would have been useful info to begin with. Assuming there isn't a clearance issue behind the panel, I too would recommend upgrading the current instrument to display fuel flow. This could be as simple as sending out your current instrument for mods, adding the transducer to an existing wire harness and pluming into fuel lines, or as difficult as pulling the 3 additional wires through the airplane, pinning it into the existing connector in the cockpit, or replacing the entire existing harness.

In my experience, even if the current wire harness didn't support adding a fuel flow, one can buy the pins/sockets from mouser or similar supply store and add the wiring without ripping out the old harness and feeding in a new one. Most likely each instrument uses the same connector housing just vary the contacts and locations.

Two pluses for upgrading is less additional weight and not hogging up an additional hole in the panel vs adding a dedicated fuel flow instrument.

Since you already have JPI, I don't think you would like the looks of having a EI next to it. They are drastically different in appearance.

(These are both EI) Clicky pic for video

Last edited:
While the JPI fuelscan or totalizer features in the engine monitor is very nice to have (I have an 830), it can NOT be used to replace the "floppy: fuel gauges. The thing is placarded (as well as stated int he manual) as not being usable for that.

I take a pessimistic view of what the following tells me:

1. My fuel gauges.
2. The 830 fuel flow compuation.
3. My preflight planning fuel consumption.

If any of them heads for the reserves, I'm looking for a place to land.

I have always had fuel flow, I consider it vital data to use in conjunction with what my gauges tell me, not to replace them. Another thing I found really handy is tying it into an advanced Navigation box like a 430 and getting real time range information in the prevailing conditions. With this I have made early decisions to modify my speed to make the range I desire, or to put down plenty early at a field with lower cost fuel.

There's more than one way having accurate data pays off.

I have always had fuel flow, I consider it vital data to use in conjunction with what my gauges tell me, not to replace them. Another thing I found really handy is tying it into an advanced Navigation box like a 430 and getting real time range information in the prevailing conditions. With this I have made early decisions to modify my speed to make the range I desire, or to put down plenty early at a field with lower cost fuel.

There's more than one way having accurate data pays off.

This was the primary reason we wanted it. The factory fuel gauges are junk, I know they have to stay but having accurate fuel flow info to bounce against the GPS and give me a predicted margin of fuel at any particular point in the flight makes fuel-stop planning much easier as winds aloft change. I make a lot of long XC trips, pushing into the 4+hour range with 6 hours of cruise fuel on board (5 plus reserve, 53 gallons usable). The accurate fuel flow info would be a real plus.

For most GA planes sticking the tank and watching the clock is your best bet.

I do agree Cessna fuel gauges are total crap and a waste of panel space.

This might be a fix for ya, I might be adding this to my 185.

FL2X2-1.jpg

http://www.aerospacelogic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=56

Looks like these are all intended to use the OEM level transmitters. If the transmitters are junk a new gauge won't solve the problem.

Meh, it's the best I've found, fixes half the equation at least :dunno:

:mad2:

This is why I'm building an experimental. I can build it with instruments that actually work.

STC's can GTFO.

Back