172N nose gear collapse

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Unfortunately one of the 172's at a school I rent from had a gear collapse yesterday. How does the nose gear collapse on a 172, since its fixed? Do the gear mechanisms just give out in the wheel arm?

Either porpoised and hit nose first or hit hard on mains forcing the nose down hard. Possibly corrosion assisted the break. Gear is designed to take so many Gs. After that they break.

Yup

PIO, I'd wager is most likely.

Also seen it happen when planes go off the runway and nail a ditch, hole or the like.

Thing is this happened when it was back taxiing on the runway, after a landing.

After the damage was already done from a PIO or hitting something I'd bet

After the damage was already done from a PIO or hitting something I'd bet

Thats true, I would have thought something had to cause it to collapse. I didnt think these kinds of things are just random occurences in fixed gear.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... All pilots say that....

What do you think they will do, come into the FBO with a smile on their face and proudly announce they botched the landing and killed the nose gear..:rolleyes:..:nonod:

When I was a little boy, I would say to my dad...."it broke."

He would always reply......"it broke....IT!!.......

Someone flew it into the ground.......probably repeatedly.

When I was a little boy, I would say to my dad...."it broke."

He would always reply......"it broke....IT!!.......

And...... It was put away wet alot too...:redface::redface:;)

This seems to be typical for basic flight school planes, hence why I would never want to be the owner of a lease back plane

And my guess is that he did not have the stick all the way back on touchdown, either!

Pull the stick back and it would fly away. Some don't get the relationship between airspeed and AoA/pitch attitude. Basic, first PPL lesson stuff.

Dan

I like to teach the rachet method, once you start pulling the stick back, pretend there is a rachet on it and you can can't put it back forward.

Last edited:
I like to teach the rachet method, once you start pulling the stick back, pretend there is a rachet on it and you can put it back forward.

I think you mean "cannot"!

And while I get, and taught, that as an ideal, it can't always work out that way!

http://youtu.be/ricgcIz2SHI

Last edited:
Nice ship.

Thanks! She's a hoot!

For a typical trainer trike it will most always work

Maybe on a smooth day. Again, not arguing with the concept nor the mental image - I've used them myself.

But when the wind starts blowing or there are thermals, it all reverts to "whatever it takes"!

Very true, its unfortunate because it was probably one of my favorites to fly. An email was sent out from the School last night that just stated the gear had collapsed during a back taxi. As of now not sure if it will be repaired or not.

What you mean? Porpoisers are job insuranec for us rivet mashers. :yes:

Naw, I hate it when termites start eating aluminum. I had a tug driver try to collapse a nose gear but he only managed to break one side free. OTOH, I have proof that Dakota nose gear is pretty darn tough...

Walked out and saw the airplane today. Ended up not being the nose wheel, it was the left main that collapsed. They were apparently turning on the ground and added some brake and noticed a strange feeling and the left main gear gave way. The insurance inspectors said they are not totalling it which is good and deemed it fatigue, but it will require some work. New landing gear a new elevator and a fix on the left wing. Anyway it wasnt a good sight, but glad to see there was no prop strike.

Back