172M checklist in MPH?

Pedals2Paddles

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Pedals2Paddles
I just got the qRef checklist for a 172M. To my disappointment, all the speeds are in knots. Our ASI is in MPH.

My first thought is to scan it, make the text edits in Acrobat, print, and laminate. But I figured I would check to see if anyone knows of a 172M checklist already in MPH.

You're a student pilot, right?

I find that making my own checklist is a useful way to work out flows for a new airplane.

Having said that, a 172L checklist will probably work fine, as those are generic anyway and don't cover installed equipment. There are preflight and takeoff/landing procedures for autopilots, for example.

I did that for the 150. But the $12 qRef checklist saves hours of work making my own so I figured why not. I really like the qRef one, it's just the damn speeds!

Just add 15% in your head it's not hard.

I did that for the 150. But the $12 qRef checklist saves hours of work making my own so I figured why not. I really like the qRef one, it's just the damn speeds!

Hours?

My first took a bit over an hour, beyond what I needed to study anyway.

Subsequent ones are A LOT less.

As an exercise, rattle off the differences between the 150 and 172M. It's a short list. The V speeds are ~5 knots higher on the 172. The flap switch may or may not be different. The fuel selector has left and right settings instead of just on/off. That's it, right (aside from difference in avionics, which won't be in your canned checklist anyway)? They even both have 40 deg flaps.

The "hours" of work helps you get the flows down. It's the point.

It's just like figuring tips.
Which I require a calculator for still.

Hours?

My first took a bit over an hour, beyond what I needed to study anyway.

Subsequent ones are A LOT less.

As an exercise, rattle off the differences between the 150 and 172M. It's a short list. The V speeds are ~5 knots higher on the 172. The flap switch may or may not be different. The fuel selector has left and right settings instead of just on/off. That's it, right (aside from difference in avionics, which won't be in your canned checklist anyway)? They even both have 40 deg flaps.

The "hours" of work helps you get the flows down. It's the point.

The 150 took a long time. It was a new, unfamiliar aircraft that had no useful checklist already. I had to combine steps from the POH, canned lists, and known additional procedures. Took a long time to put it all together and format it to look nice. Though I suppose you're right, it should just be modifications at this point.

The airspeed indicators installed in pre-1976 172Ms at the factory have mph in the outer scale, and knots in an inner scale, visible through a small window surrounding the needle.

Attachments

• 1973_172_ASI.jpg
    1973_172_ASI.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 21
Yep. We have that too. But I would have the big bold text on the checklist match the big bold text on the ASI.

the ASI is color coded and marked so the mph-knots shouldnt be an issue. eg. rotate speed above the bottom of the white arc, etc.

the ASI is color coded and marked so the mph-knots shouldnt be an issue. eg. rotate speed above the bottom of the white arc, etc.

Rotate above the bottom of the GREEN arc. The white is for full flaps. Full flaps on a 172M on takeoff is not an approved configuration, and may have a bad outcome.

It's due diligence to know all the V-speeds regardless of the ASI markings. Not all the V-speeds are on there.

Know your airplane ,fly your airplane, difference between knots and MPH not that significant. You can do the math and make,and laminate your own checklist.

I know I do not need and should not need the checklist for normal flight. But there is training for me and other people involved. The checklist is learning tool as well. I want it to be correct.

Just add 15% in your head it's not hard.

Which I require a calculator for still.

I hate our modern school system. Nobody teaches mental math anymore.

Caveat: Remember 15% is itself an approximation but quite accurate enough for light airplane speeds.

Here's the "trick" to 15% in your head.

Looks daunting kinda, right?

Try it this way...

15% is the same thing as 10% + 5%.

Oh!

Starting number 60 knots...

10% is 6. Half of that (5%) is 3.

6+3= 9

Add back to original number of 60.

Easy to do in your head.

---

10% is 10. Plus half of 10.

10+5. 15.

Add back to original 100... 115 MPH.

--

Play with it.

Oh and by the way... If you suck at calculating 15%, for tipping... Just pay 20%. Your server is making a whopping $3.35/hr anyway.

Plus 20% is easier even. Take 10% and double it.

Bill is $1264.57 for your crazy night on the town.

1264.5 ... Round up you cheapskate... 1265

1265 * 2 looks hard. Let's break it up a bit.

1200 * 2 = 2400
65 * 2 = 130

$2530 is your tip there, big spender.

Warning: Judging by that bar tab a) They've already assessed an 18% gratuity. Read the receipt. b) You're drunk. That's why they did it.

Catch a cab and go home. ;)

Now, if you say you need a metal landing calculator...

P.S. For the old farts... No they really don't teach math like that above anymore. The old, "How do you eat an elephant?" method is not popular anymore.

Yes, it seems ridiculous not to.

P.S. For the old farts... No they really don't teach math like that above anymore. The old, "How do you eat an elephant?" method is not popular anymore.

Yes, it seems ridiculous not to.

That's funny. That's more or less exactly how my 9 year old kid has been taught arithmetic the past few years.

I hate our modern school system. Nobody teaches mental math anymore.

Caveat: Remember 15% is itself an approximation but quite accurate enough for light airplane speeds.

Here's the "trick" to 15% in your head.

Looks daunting kinda, right?

Try it this way...

15% is the same thing as 10% + 5%.

Oh!

Starting number 60 knots...

10% is 6. Half of that (5%) is 3.

6+3= 9

Add back to original number of 60.

Easy to do in your head.

---

10% is 10. Plus half of 10.

10+5. 15.

Add back to original 100... 115 MPH.

--

Play with it.

Oh and by the way... If you suck at calculating 15%, for tipping... Just pay 20%. Your server is making a whopping $3.35/hr anyway.

Plus 20% is easier even. Take 10% and double it.

Bill is $1264.57 for your crazy night on the town.

1264.5 ... Round up you cheapskate... 1265

1265 * 2 looks hard. Let's break it up a bit.

1200 * 2 = 2400
65 * 2 = 130

$2530 is your tip there, big spender.

Warning: Judging by that bar tab a) They've already assessed an 18% gratuity. Read the receipt. b) You're drunk. That's why they did it.

Catch a cab and go home. ;)

Now, if you say you need a metal landing calculator...

Pretty generous tip there, Nate. Those pesky decimal point...

Back