172 Speed Record

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Was out shooting ILS's with my CFII student the other night. got this picture on my phone while inbound, level flight, 90 KIAS.

attachment.php

Attachments

• slow.jpg
    slow.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 223
You should have turned around and shot the ILS backwards!

That was like the ILS I flew into Champaign last winter. How was the landing? I had a hard time getting the airplane to stop flying. Finally got a wheel onto the pavement and let friction take it from there.

That was like the ILS I flew into Champaign last winter. How was the landing? I had a hard time getting the airplane to stop flying. Finally got a wheel onto the pavement and let friction take it from there.

wind was high teens gusting to low 20s at the surface, 20ish degree crosswind. landing was no problem.

Hehe I've had similar things happen to me. Was doing a practice ILS in Madison, and the tower asked me for best forward speed. So I am blazing down the GS at 140KIAS, and the GS is barely in the triple digits. Whee!

Hehe I've had similar things happen to me. Was doing a practice ILS in Madison, and the tower asked me for best forward speed. So I am blazing down the GS at 140KIAS, and the GS is barely in the triple digits. Whee!

I was passed by trucks on the PA Turnpike one morning flying west across PA in a PA28-140.
:sleep:

I've flown backwards on an ILS.... pitched up, went up and backwards over the ground, and then lowered the nose and tried again. Had 50 knot headwinds at the time, and yes, this was in VMC.

Last edited:

Heh... I had to do a "best forward speed" approach in one of the Archers one night against a 40-knot headwind at full throttle. Approach told me to pedal as fast as I could when they handed me off to Tower. :rofl:

This is the track of the jet that followed me in. MSN had to vector him nearly clear of their airspace because I was going so slow!

web.jpg

One day during my PP training, we were doing the usual slow flight thing and actually going backwards in reference to the ground. Instructor told me to look down out the side and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Last week, I'm cleared into 27 at SWF on a long right base and there's a turbine acft of some sort on the long straight in about 6 miles behind. Controller sez can I keep up best speed into the final..I'm like new to this, so he asks for 95-100kts into the final. okayyyyy..first time I saw the airspeed over 100kts on final! boy am i glad SWF has a 12000ft rwy and a huge displaced threshold.

Heh... I had to do a "best forward speed" approach in one of the Archers one night against a 40-knot headwind at full throttle. Approach told me to pedal as fast as I could when they handed me off to Tower. :rofl:

This is the track of the jet that followed me in. MSN had to vector him nearly clear of their airspace because I was going so slow!

So, YOU'RE that wealthy private airplane guy that the airlines are saying is resulting in ATC delays! :D

Back