172 Panel Upgrades - Complete!

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
Well, my 172N made it out of the shop last week with the panel upgrades complete. I was finally able to take it up yesterday evening. Love the new equipment but will take a while to get proficient with all the bells and whistles.

On a side note, I had not flown since November. I was worried about being rusty, but knocked out 10 very respectable landings in a row. No greasers but no stinkers either! It was great to get back in the air!

GTN 650 GPS and indicator
GDL-88 ADS-B
GPSS integrated with S-Tec 50 A/P
GTX 327 transponder
KMA 24 audio panel
TKM #2 radio
New lower switch panel

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 218
Looks nice! Before pic?

Here's the before. Just original equipment except for the addition of the Loran, S-Tec 50 A/P, and the yoke mounted gps. Glad to ditch the old Loran and yoke mounted gps.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 133
Nice and clean. I like it!

I've now been able to log a few hours with the new equipment, and I have to say the GTN650 is an awesome device. I had used the 430 previously, and the 650 is so much better. It is much more user friendly and intuitive.

I have been spending quite a bit of time in the pattern and the ads-b in/out traffic has been very helpful. I have been able to locate all of the traffic on the display prior to seeing or receiving the radio call. I've even had a couple of aural alerts for potential traffic conflicts. Nothing beats 2 eyes looking out the windscreen but the traffic display and alerts certainly provides added safety and piece of mind.

Back