172 or 182 for PPL

5 year old or 50 year old?

also, about the medical that @Sinistar mentioned. doesnt matter how healthy you are. there are Questions like "have you ever..." . do some reading on the medical section of this board and dont assume everything is going to be alright. one bad yes can quickly ruin the day. If you can get a "consult" from the AME without filling up any form whatsoever anywhere, thats the best route to go

on a diff note, i had passed on a pretty good 182 when i was trying to buy ... that was a dumb move on my part.

5 ish.

I've always thought 182's were overpriced for what you get, but I also never had a mission that the 182 was a good fit for. The nice thing about going with a 182 out of the gate is its possible it'll be the last plane you'll ever want. And it'll be easy to sell if it turns out not to be last plane you'll ever want.

I'm a low wing guy but from what you're describing, a 182 will be perfect.

Regardless, start training right away in whichever is available. Don't rush and buy a plane that is not a good fit, and don't wait till you find one to start training. Just start flying.

Like I mentioned, a 182 is the perfect model, but they come in many flavors. From old worn out jump planes to like new creampuffs. You'll want to be picky and find the one you want, but don't delay your start to find it. Personally, I like project planes, many (most?) do not. And tbh, you probably want something turn-key as a first plane. And good 182s are a little harder to find.

You don't just get charged for the engine run time, the CFI charges for ground time

As a CFI I go through great pains to limit this. Far too many were the times coming up through the ranks where a CFI would tack on an additional 0.5 "ground" just because... I would arrive, do the pre-flight alone, not see the CFI until he was strapping into the airplane, then after the flight only long enough to get the logbook filled in and pay for the flight. Nowhere near 0.5 worth of additional ground instruction. Padding your paycheck like that should be grounds for a public hanging.

Don’t know what the new ones go for, but you are possibly looking at 350k range considering the old models and new-ish engine time are listed for around 150k or so. But again I haven’t looked at them in last 3 years or so, things might have changed

I’m checked out in all four of our club aircraft: C150, 180 hp 172, 182 and a Tiger. Personally I like the Tiger for XC flying for its 182-like speed with 172-like fuel burn. I don’t fly the 182 just for cost reasons. If cost isn’t an issue go with the 182. Also, you may want to consider learning how to land a 172 first before getting in a 182. But it will be more important to find a cfi you mesh well with. That will be more important than the plane choice. Then talk over that decision with him or her.

I bought my 182 2 months before I took my check ride. It was hard but I only flew my plane 4 or 5 times before the check ride, the 172 was just so much easier both to fly and to land that I decided to finish up in it.
You need to meet up with the rest of us in MS sometime

The US Navy teaches the primary flight syllabus in high performance SE turboprops. Naval aviators usually solo in about 12 hrs. (Granted, meticulous pre-selection process and taxpayer $ accountability scrutiny).

+1 On NOT needing a Centurion. That insurance will be crazy as will operating expenses compared to 172/182.

As @WannFly said I did zero to PPL in a 182P model. They are tough, easy to work on and lots of room. I would venture to guess learning in a HP plane maybe added 5hrs to solo time and negligible to overall PPL time.

The 182 will be spendy but retains its value. So should you feel the need for speed after your PPL you will have no trouble selling it for a faster retract or Cirrus/TTx/RV-x.

Versus a 172 or Archer you'll burn another 3 to 4 gal/hr so if your PPL takes you 70hrs that's gonna add over $1000 to training costs. Maintenance reserves should also be considered if you purchase the plane. The old Continental motors are only 1500 TBO and using $45k for rebuild that's another $30/hr you should be stuffing away for the eventual rebuild or depreciation in value if you sell it later with a high time motor. So that's another $2200 to budget for flight training and $$$$ you wouldn't spend if renting to learn.

You'll like the HP of the 182 for your density altitudes.

If you think you'll be doing lots of trips beyond 500nm you will quickly want a faster plane.

You're also a bit cart before the horse...

Have you ensured your medical?

Where will you park it and preferably have it covered?

If you dont mind sharing. what is your budget?

Thank you for the suggestion to read the Medical section. I’ll continue to read and understand the process better, however as I stated I don’t anticipate any issues, I just had a recent annual physical, blood work was fine, BP was great. I don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, haven’t been arrested, no moving violations however I did receive 2 parking tickets in college.

With all due respect, I was able to understand the seriousness of the Medical and I appreciated the advice to read up on it, however I don’t anticipate any issues.

Thank you for the suggestion to read the Medical section. I’ll continue to read and understand the process better, however as I stated I don’t anticipate any issues, I just had a recent annual physical, blood work was fine, BP was great. I don’t smoke, don’t drink alcohol, haven’t been arrested, no moving violations however I did receive 2 parking tickets in college.

With all due respect, I was able to understand the seriousness of the Medical and I appreciated the advice to read up on it, however I don’t anticipate any issues.
Awesome!!!

And I did not mean to imply you didn't understand or weren't taking it seriously. Heck your original question is much more advanced than the average "Thinking of flying what do I have do...". That darned medical can really trip up people. Its pretty much a standard warning around here. And when people talk ownership it seems even more important as its literally step 0 in the whole process and no one wants to see someone buy a plane then get a medical denied...that would be terrible.

So are you still thinking of buying? Like maybe a Van Bortel plane?

So if it was campus police and not the regular police does he have to report the parking tickets :)

This is funny. For my AME with 2 visits - he has given me grief about my misdemeanor each time. I think he gets a kick out of it as it was rather stupid.

Funny, I have a daughter at my Alma mater and while the Campus police are "real" police, I don't recall 30 years ago if Campus police were parking police or "real" police!

Thank you for the medical suggestion and I did learn, it seems from a risk perspective, it should be the 1st step in the process, especially before buying in the event there may be a hiccup somewhere I wasn't aware of; so thank you!

I would train with the rental and then purchase. There were a few threads in the past where the "student owner" was really getting raked over the coals by the DPE regarding logs and log entries ... might not be worth the hassle ...

Back