172 Engine Out YouTube Video

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I'm sure some of you have seen this, but I don't remember seeing it posted. This guy did a phenomenal job given that he was only on his 3rd solo flight as a student. Kept his cool and flew the airplane until it stopped. He did one heck of a job! Aviate, Aviate, Aviate!

Sounded like he had partial power maybe? I dunno.

Sounded like he had partial power maybe? I dunno.
Yeah hard to tell, when he pulled the power in the crosswind turn it sounded like it completely puked, but I could be wrong. Strange I couldn't find it in the NTSB monthly database either.

i could not understand what the pilot said in the beginning of the video re the cause of failure fuel something. only thing it could have been was the selector or gascolator . great job however.

Good job. Flew the plane. I would have liked to have heard his phone call to his CFI after that too. Third solo. Wow.

Anyone else notice the soccer field (also has a stadium and a baseball diamond attached to the complex) off his left wing after he made the turn back to the airport?

If you watch closely you can see the runway end RISING in the windshield during the end of the turn showing that he's not going to make it there, too.

Always make sure you train to look around -- when the stress hits you'll focus straight ahead if you don't practice turning your now-locked-forward head.

Can't tell if the soccer field is covered with people from the video though. I don't see any white spots but darker uniforms wouldn't show up on this quality of video. His eyeballs may have seen people there but I don't think he ever looks southwest.

rpi good catch you nailed it . there is a big ad running around for that very part in that aircraft.the servo has a gasket that is prone to failure . i missed the new style air vents and the stall warning black thing looked like a older 172

O man, he was composed all along.. I would have **** in my pants

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I fly around that airport every once in a while. He found by FAR the best place to put it down. There aren't many choices; that airport is boxed in by urban development.

Luck played a role. 19s are not used much, though they are calm wind runways because terrain forces all the instrument approaches down them. Prevailing wind is usually westerly or northerly. Had he taken off on 1R, he would have made a big dent in the side of an oil storage tank or burned someone's house down.

You can see him trying to steer with the ailerons when he's on the ground...full right lock on the yoke. I remember trying to do that in my early days!! At least a glancing blow with a chain link fence is fairly soft.

Not knocking the guy, though. An amazing job in a trying situation. The glide slope worked out just right...he was at the level of the streetlights crossing the road before putting her down. Just a couple minor beeps from the stall horn, so no stretch of the glide.

Nice to see a happy outcome instead of reading some sickening NTSB report.

Had he taken off on 1R, he would have made a big dent in the side of an oil storage tank or burned someone's house down.
There are a couple of options off 1R...two big fields between Mallard Reservoir and the oil tank farm, and the highway. It's a Fate is the Hunter thing. At just what altitude are you going to lose the engine? Fate was on this guy's side, as he was pretty close to TPA and had some altitude to work with.

Is the stall horn blaring a few times on the way down, or am I just hearing things?

You can see him trying to steer with the ailerons when he's on the ground...full right lock on the yoke. I remember trying to do that in my early days!!
I noticed that, might've been trying to do aerodynamic braking to some extent. But hey, I give him full applause for his ability to get it down in the way he did!

Heard it also. He seemed to correct back up to best glide. Probably the usual "I wonder if I can stretch this glide... no that made it worse..."
Yup that's why I mentioned in one of the above posts that flaps wouldn't have been helpful. He was pushing it to get where he did.

To arm chair QB.....did he turn fuel off, appears electrical was left on, and maybe should have cracked the door before touchdown. Otherwise kept his calm and all was Ok.

To arm chair QB.....did he turn fuel off, appears electrical was left on, and maybe should have cracked the door before touchdown. Otherwise kept his calm and all was Ok.

He mentioned that he has since thought a lot about that after the accident and drilled getting things shut down and egress since then. For a third solo, it's a lot to remember.

Not many of us have had an engine out at the solo stage of training. I doubt I would have remembered it back then, but I probably would have GTFO quicker just because I've seen too much stuff burn. Quickly.

Well done. The only think to fault was his turn back seemed a bit leisurely. That said, student pilot, well done.

I know in that same situation (having been there) given lack of altitude, I'm turning immediately toward the field as aggressively as I can. But I have a lot more time and training than he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

triage

At his altitude, only thing I might have done would have been once landing assured on the golf course, maybe a few things to get her shutdown sooner, or "ground looped" it away from the fence.

Back