172 crash at Fulton NY (Near KFZY)

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019...ness-all-of-a-sudden-i-heard-a-loud-bang.html

Pilot appears to have only minor injuries. One lucky dude...

Did 90% of my training here. Not familiar with the plane or pilot - looks like he was from up north. This area was to the southwest of the airport, either on base/approach for 6 or possibly entering downwind for 33.

No idea what went down, although it does look like the remains of a fair amount of fuel on the pavement, so my first inclination of "ran out of gas" is probably wrong. Some kind of engine out failure according to witnesses.

Having flown in that area many times, in fact having done power out practice right about where this crash happened (turned to RWY6), I wonder what happened. There are really no good options if you are low over the city headed south - but the end of RWY 6 is only ~1 mile from this crash location. But nothing good in between.

Witnesses said he was flying/gliding south. Must be the street was the best worst option... A nice field about 1/2 mile north, but if you are headed south and are low when the windmill quits...

[Edit - not so sure the pilot 'walked away' as other news is reporting that he went to the hospital. Either way looks like he lived, which is the important thing]

That's a 150; this story has been previously posted.

Wing hit a telephone pole... He flipped it. Good job keeping it in the road I guess, hoping I'm never faced with this situation...

Crap, sorry. Change the title for me mods? Or remove thread...

Crap, sorry. Change the title for me mods? Or remove thread...
You can change it yourself. Top right corner is an ‘edit thread’ button with a drop down menu. Edit title is one of the options.

Back