172 baggage compartment lock?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I recently purchased a Cessna 172G, and it is a great airplane except one thing, its missing a baggage compartment lock! Is there a good place online I can order one?

Sorry if this is not the correct board for this question.

I recently purchased a Cessna 172G, and it is a great airplane except one thing, its missing a baggage compartment lock! Is there a good place online I can order one?

Sorry if this is not the correct board for this question.

Talk to Cessna tech, or your local Cessna dealer those parts are proprietary parts.

check other peoples keys. My mechanic misplaced mine. We looked through his pile of other "misplaced" keys and found some that worked. I think it was a Cessna door key that worked for my Piper mag switch.

check other peoples keys. My mechanic misplaced mine. We looked through his pile of other "misplaced" keys and found some that worked. I think it was a Cessna door key that worked for my Piper mag switch.

I think he's missing the whole lock, not just the key.

Keys can be made easily by any locksmith for Cessnas.

And +1 on joining the Cessna Pilot's Association. I'd rename it the Cessna Technical Information Association personally... not much info on flying or flying technique, but their sources and resources for maintenance are the best out there...

A quick phone call to them, they'll not only tell you where to get that part, but the part number, and at least one other alternate way to lock up your airplane.

They highly recommend the addition of locks that you cut out a slot in the bottom of the window frame and mount them just under the window outside the aircraft door.

The reason? Grab almost any Cessna single with even a slightly older door hinge and pin assembly way out at the wingtip and shake the crap out of it...

The door WILL pop open, even if locked, just from the twisting of the airframe.

Now remember what all the Cessnas were doing the last time the wind came up on the ramp... the rock-and-roll...

Yup. Doors will open on their own, unattended, in a frisky wind.

I think he's missing the whole lock, not just the key.

Keys can be made easily by any locksmith for Cessnas.

And +1 on joining the Cessna Pilot's Association. I'd rename it the Cessna Technical Information Association personally... not much info on flying or flying technique, but their sources and resources for maintenance are the best out there...

A quick phone call to them, they'll not only tell you where to get that part, but the part number, and at least one other alternate way to lock up your airplane.

They highly recommend the addition of locks that you cut out a slot in the bottom of the window frame and mount them just under the window outside the aircraft door.

The reason? Grab almost any Cessna single with even a slightly older door hinge and pin assembly way out at the wingtip and shake the crap out of it...

The door WILL pop open, even if locked, just from the twisting of the airframe.

Now remember what all the Cessnas were doing the last time the wind came up on the ramp... the rock-and-roll...

Yup. Doors will open on their own, unattended, in a frisky wind.

Not if the latches are fully engaged. Next time you have the plane door open rotate the inside handle fully rearward and watch what happens. The latch will continue to extend as you do so. You want that to happen when you close up the plane as well.

To do it, rotate the right side handle fully rearward before exiting the plane, then get out and close the door. Open the baggage compartment door and stick your head and torso inside. Fold the rear seatback forward then reach up and rotate the pilot side handle fully to the rear as well. Extricate yourself and lock the doors as you normally would.

For added insurance, install an eyebolt near the bottom rear of each door - then connect a suitably-sized bungee cord between them when closing up the plane.

Dave

Yes I neglected to document that with the handles down in the "in-flight" position, the pins are engaged.

Most pilots don't climb over the back seat from the baggage compartment to throw the pilot's side door handle though. Usually they throw the passenger side handle and then just use the Cessna key in the pilot's side door.

If nothing else climbing over the back seat to get at the handles, is hellish on the back seat itself.

Plenty of "fixes" available for it. You just rarely see them being used/installed. Everything from the simple solutions to the "Iron Maiden" panel/avionics locks.

By the way, our 1975 C-182P handles have to go all the way forward, not rearward. Not easy to do from the baggage door method.

Back