172 Approach Speed

So book knowledge is not important?

Actually, not as much as you think. The "book" gives you various V speeds you should adhere to stay safe. They give you boundaries to operate within not hard and fast rules to apply.

This is particularly true when it comes to landing: You need to KNOW HOW TO LAND and adapt to different speeds. Your cite picture is a big part of that process.

A correct cite picture allows you to adjust to different wind conditions which will result in a good to great landing.

Last edited:
Actually, not as much as you think. The "book" gives you various V speeds you should adhere to stay safe. They give you boundaries to operate within not hard and fast rules to apply.

That's not the kind of book knowledge I'm talking about.

I am a student pilot, so please excuse my ignorance.

The Airplane Flying Handbook repeatedly says that you should fly final approach at 1.3 x Vs0. Vs0 in the 172R I am mostly flying is 33 kts. 1.3 times that is 43 kts. Nobody flies the approach that slowly in the 172, and I have been instructed to fly it at 65 kts, which works well.

Can someone explain the discrepancy to me? Does the 1.3 x Vs0 formula just not apply to a 172?

Thanks in advance.
Our old F-model had an approach speed of 60-65 mph! If you came in at 60, you'd better be riding the throttle, because you could develop an amazing sink rate, and it was quite a yank to keep that front wheel off the deck. Even 65 mph made a huge difference. And 120 mph over the numbers would let you float for a few thousand feet.

Back