17 Wacky Naval Aviation Terms You Never Knew You Wanted To Know

I was on a carrier for four years. Never saw PriFly or Mr. Hands. Either we didn't have it or we, as nukes, just didn't give a crap about what the airdales were doing.

Dog Machine? It NEVER worked. Really. In the four years on board I NEVER had softserve out of the machine.

Mid Rats...mmmm...sliders, puss rockets, and whatever sucked so bad that it was left over from the last three day's meals...

Foc'sle? That is what happens when you spell it using phonics. It is the Forecastle. You can always spot the nub when they pronounce it "Forecastle" instead of "Foc'sle".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forecastle

Midrats: Barney Clark, FTW

BarneyClark.jpg

Dog Machine? It NEVER worked. Really. In the four years on board I NEVER had softserve out of the machine.

I've always heard it referred to as 'auto-dog' rather than dog-machine.

How often it works is entirely dependent on the relationship between Suppo and CHENG.

The one on AMERICA (LHA 6) works.

It's not coincidental that Barney Clark was the first recipient of an artificial heart...

I never got anything like that 15 years ago. The meat patties were those class D but edible preformed patties. Eggs? One month into the deployments and we could only get scrambled from frozen egg beater cartons. The real eggs had turned into embryos...

The smoking lamp is lit was code on the big deck I was on for she's out there and if you have $20, you will get to the finish line.

That is, till the MAs caught up with her. She was cross-decked, found out she was preggo and courts marshaled for prostitution.

nice, that was actually pretty well done. Foxtrot Alpha normally has pretty decent articles though.

as an aside, I will have to save that diagram of the flight deck. Whenever you would sign for the jet, mx control would always tell you where it was, and they always used those terms which pretty much meant nothing to me......except for the finger....that was the one where you didn't want to go up the normal route through the island, but rather aft and out past the LSO platform, so as to not have to cross the LA during flight ops.

Last edited:
I never got anything like that 15 years ago. The meat patties were those class D but edible preformed patties. Eggs? One month into the deployments and we could only get scrambled from frozen egg beater cartons. The real eggs had turned into embryos...

:lol: Reality though, smear eggs with Vaseline and they stay good in the bilge for 6+ months.

Midrats was usually all the leftovers, never saw a"grill " open. They had burgers, but they were not made to order.

we had a couple CS's who rocked it up in WR1 during rats. My favorite was a runny scramble of cracked eggs, into a grill warmed tortilla, sliced avocado, couple bacon strips, and of course srriracha (got that from care packages). One eye jack was another favorite on "weekends" (not that that exists on a carrier in wartime), similar to what nauga posted. I could do maybe one a month and each time, I felt like I was about to die of a heart attack immediately afterwards. But just about anything is good at 2 AM after a 7 hr mission, though rats is more for the experience IMO.......unwind, shoot the $ with your buds for an hour or two, go to sleep happy and try not to be awoken by stupid ship's company drills at 0700 that they insist on making over the 1MC. Best morning of my life was after we disabled the speaker in our stateroom.

never on board a ship with the engine running in my 6 years in the canoe club but had midrats at several of my shore stations. Not great but when you 20 food is food.

F'n ship-riders!

V/r,
A former CHENG

haha, actually the big XO said something along the lines of "at least when I did this as a JO, I didn't cut the [expletive] wires".......we didn't do that, but apparently plenty of others had.

never on board a ship with the engine running in my 6 years in the canoe club but had midrats at several of my shore stations. Not great but when you 20 food is food.

Midrats on shore duty???? That just seems un- navy like.

haha, actually the big XO said something along the lines of "at least when I did this as a JO, I didn't cut the [expletive] wires".......we didn't do that, but apparently plenty of others had.

Brown shoes aren't even the worst. You should see what Marines do to shipboard systems.

Midrats on shore duty???? That just seems un- navy like.

We called it Midrats in the Army on deployment as well. Never realized it was a Navy term before but I guess it's transcended all branches. One thing is probably universal, quality of food during Midrats sucks. At 0100 you'll eat anything though.

CS's (MS's in my day) who cooked??? Ours slept and played cards. Cranks cooked.

actually, yeah, this was probably the case. I know when I was a DivO, I had a couple sailors down there cranking, all AT/AE/AO's, or at least soon-to-be.

We called it Midrats in the Army on deployment as well. Never realized it was a Navy term before but I guess it's transcended all branches. One thing is probably universal, quality of food during Midrats sucks. At 0100 you'll eat anything though.

Yup, we had (have) them civy offshore too. Quality depends on the contract...

I worked in the "A" gang on board a destroyer for 2+ years. If I have the sounding & security mid-watch 2400 -0400 I had the keys to the galley. :D. I could whip up a sandwich on my own if I missed MidRats. :happydance:

How about 'Cherubs 6'? Try telling someone you hit the bird at cherubs 6. They may look for some extra space to put between you.

The one on AMERICA (LHA 6) works.

The one on USS America (CVA66) Worked when PorkChop said it worked. And, that was NEVER when I was aboard.

"Steel Beach Picnic" was what the Master Chief referred to as "**** 'em and feed 'em hotdogs."

... quality of food during Midrats sucks. At 0100 you'll eat anything though.

Midrats at Kadena AFB, airside galley is 'da bomb! I used to volunteer to cover the overnight maintenance shift during missile-ex's just for that reason (couldn't make it out in town during the week anyway...).

How about 'Cherubs 6'? Try telling someone you hit the bird at cherubs 6. They may look for some extra space to put between you.

Cherubs were invented by helo drivers 'cause it was fun to mock the all the Mavericks reporting "angels".

Back