160KTAS+, Solid in Turbulence, $120K exist?

Back on the Bellanca idea, take a look at the attached picture that I took on the way back from my annual a couple of weeks ago. If you zoom in on the Aspen you'll see I'm doing 154kts at 10.6gph. Granted, this is lean of peak, but I sure wouldn't say that it is hard on fuel. Getting over 165kts is easy if I want to go ROP and 15gph.

You may also enjoy this VIDEO FROM THE '70s. The only modification on her plane was a remote switch on the yoke for the boost pump (not that it is hard to reach) and a strap for the back seat to make sure it would stay put.

Attachments

• WD_0235.jpeg
    WD_0235.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Before I clicked the thread I was thinking Mooney.

I saw the recommendations for the 231, but I somewhat poopoo the 231 in favor of the 252 unless it's had the STC wastegate added. But still again,the 252 also had an improved engine. Purchases prices are about the same and you'd likely get a younger airframe (not that it matters much with a Mooney airframe).

TB20/TB21. High wing-loading gives a good ride in turbulence. Available with AC (ex IDF planes) and a demonstrated crosswind component that is higher than most comparable planes. Depending on the model, speed should be +/- 5 from your goal. Prices have firmed up a bit in the past year, you may have to bump up your budget.

I guess if we're going there the Commander 114 should be in the mix, too. Best interior out of any of the 4-seat singles and great ramp appeal like the TB-20 series. It'll run the 160kts, but at 15gph instead of 12-13 like a 231.

Back on the Bellanca idea, take a look at the attached picture that I took on the way back from my annual a couple of weeks ago. If you zoom in on the Aspen you'll see I'm doing 154kts at 10.6gph. Granted, this is lean of peak, but I sure wouldn't say that it is hard on fuel. Getting over 165kts is easy if I want to go ROP and 15gph.

You may also enjoy this VIDEO FROM THE '70s. The only modification on her plane was a remote switch on the yoke for the boost pump (not that it is hard to reach) and a strap for the back seat to make sure it would stay put.

Nicely equipped Viking you've got there.
154 on 10.6 sounds pretty good to me.
Neat video, too.

living in Texas for the past 3 years and flying a 177rg (135 True) around the state I have come to embrace the inevitable afternoon shaking between 6000-12000. Problem is, after a few memorable afternoons, the wife and son have lost their flavor for it. Honestly, I can 't blame them, except I am pretty fine with it for about 90 minutes or so. I've had trouble getting them to buy into the idea of "early or late" "sunrise or evening" travel, and as such am not able to take family trips at all these days..

Question: is there such a plane -Budget $120k max with a partner or two, (single or twin) which can get me speed and stability in turbulence? payload requirements are roughly 500 lbs for family and bags. 4 seats plenty- i usually fly 1+1.

stats: 550TT, 110 Complex single , 70ME, AMEL, ASEL, IR

thanks for your suggestions.

-Rick

There is no cure for turbulence. AM or evening is the best way to prevent those encounters. My family hates it too (my wife now wears scopalomine patches to prevent the sickness but she still hates it).

I was actually looking at the 177 RG for my family but opted for the 160+ KTAS Cessna TR182. It is a super stable airplane and is a natural step up from the Cardinal RG. I bought mine, which I think is a pretty nice example, for $110k and I subsequently updated the avionics a little (dropped in a GTN 750 and GPS steering converter). I am about the same experience level as you and I actually had less experience at the time I bought. At that time I had a whopping 9 hours of RG time.

I fly out of Denver at 162 KTAS at 11k or 12k feet depending which way I'm going and I have recorded this TAS repeatedly. If I really want to get up above the thermal-related bumps and go fast, I can go up to FL 200 with the 4-place built in ox system. Up there the TAS can go up into the mid-170s pretty easily. In smooth air on initial descent (before you get into the thick air) the TAS can be 200 knots.

It is a 182 so everyone can work on it and there are boat loads of STCs. And it is a Cessna so it is docile as it gets in all phases of flight. I can carry my whole family, full fuel and baggage. Full fuel gets me 5 hrs 45 min of flight planned burn of 15 gph (I actually get a bit better than that) at 162 kTAS. That's Denver to Houston in 4:45 with an hour of fuel left over.

It is a comfy cross country and IFR machine. Something to consider for the mission you describe.

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I really appreciate the input.
lots of considerations....

Back