$1600 - SKY-TEC STARTER 12V 149-NL

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
These were $500 14 years ago.

$1291 + $200 core (the core alone is just a money grab) then add tax. They went up over $200 this week.

Last edited:
Hartzell owns about everything now, and is squeezing GA literally to death. Too bad GA is such small potatoes, I bet there's a case for a Sherman or Clayton Act violation somewhere, given how they've monopolized almost every facet of the industry.

14 years? More like 4.

2021 it was $612
2016 it was $430

Edit: B&Cs are $900, which is what I would buy next.

I think Spruce is the only supplier tacking on the core charge. Air Power would probably be a better source if you really want a Sky Tec starter.

But I’d much rather support B&C where I can at this point since they seem to have better prices, better products, and better support.

I think Spruce is the only supplier tacking on the core charge. Air Power would probably be a better source if you really want a Sky Tec starter.

But I’d much rather support B&C where I can at this point since they seem to have better prices, better products, and better support.

B&C have a lot of recommendations on Vansairforce.

I did not see a PMA or STC alternator for a 12V 60A belt driven but they do have an approved starter for certified aircraft. It looks like the STC starter has been around a while.

That's insane. I literally bought this starter from Aircraft Spruce for $895 + $200 core on 11/19/23.

starter.jpg

B&C have a lot of recommendations on Vansairforce.

I did not see a PMA or STC alternator for a 12V 60A belt driven but they do have an approved starter for certified aircraft. It looks like the STC starter has been around a while.

Unfortunately, the B&C alternators don’t have as much capacity or as much approval coverage as the more common Plane Power alternators (also owned by Hartzell). I grew to dislike the Plane Power alternators because it seems like every time I install one I have to fabricate parts to make it 100% correct. Sometimes I have no choice however, since Plane Power is often the only or best choice for some applications.

These days I’m mostly working on Cubs or Cub like aircraft so the B&C alternators are my default.

Back