152 Master Cylinder Bracket

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Got an airplane in annual now... The master cylinder bracket(s) are worn out. With 10,000 hours and most of that as a trainer, I am not surprised.

Mechanic says he has never seen this problem and has been working hard to find replacement brackets - he has not been able to locate them yet. Anyone dealt with this problem before?

Got an airplane in annual now... The master cylinder bracket(s) are worn out. With 10,000 hours and most of that as a trainer, I am not surprised.

Mechanic says he has never seen this problem and has been working hard to find replacement brackets - he has not been able to locate them yet. Anyone dealt with this problem before?

Yes most of the older 170/172 aircraft have this problem, we repair them by welding a washer on each side of the worn hole.

an aluminum washer? what grade? TIG welding I am guessing

thanks a lot for the help.. any details you can provide i'll pass on :)

When I spoke to the mechanic earlier it sounded like the bracket itself - not just the holes - was cracking.

I haven't seen it.. unfortunately the airplane is 2 hours from where I live right now.

Last edited:
an aluminum washer? what grade? TIG welding I am guessing

thanks a lot for the help.. any details you can provide i'll pass on :)

When I spoke to the mechanic earlier it sounded like the bracket itself - not just the holes - was cracking.

I haven't seen it.. unfortunately the airplane is 2 hours from where I live right now.
Are you referring to the lower attachment point ?
or the upper that is attached to the rudder pedal?

IIRC the newer Cessnas had aluminum bracketry for the master cylinder's lower mount. The holes wear out and sometimes the whole bracket comes loose.

Dan

IIRC the newer Cessnas had aluminum bracketry for the master cylinder's lower mount. The holes wear out and sometimes the whole bracket comes loose.

Dan

And when it does it usually tears a hole that is expensive to repair.

The brackets are easy to make, but the bulkhead isn't.

From talking to the mechanic today - the bracket is aluminum and it sounds like its pretty much toast. He told me he is either going to have to make a replacement or find one. I'll try to get more details tomorrow.

I wouldn't be asking for more specifics on the washer repair if it was a mild steel bracket.. I have lots of experience welding steel but zero with aluminum. Aluminum washers are not common.. I don't know what type of aluminum the bracket is made out of either.

And when it does it usually tears a hole that is expensive to repair.

The brackets are easy to make, but the bulkhead isn't.

The aluminum brackets are what I think we are after.. Need a source for replacements. Don't think our mechanic wants to make new ones if he can help it.

Bulkhead is ok.

Sorry tom thought I specified in the original post that the bracket was aluminum.. Looks like i neglected to mention that

Last edited:
The aluminum brackets are what I think we are after.. Need a source for replacements. Don't think our mechanic wants to make new ones if he can help it.

Bulkhead is ok.

Sorry tom thought I specified in the original post that the bracket was aluminum.. Looks like i neglected to mention that

Yingling Brothers (google them) they are across the street from the factory, give them a P/N if you got one or simply tell they what you need.

Yingling Brothers (google them) they are across the street from the factory, give them a P/N if you got one or simply tell they what you need.

Thanks, they had the parts and they were not too expensive. I might get to go flying sometime soon .. :)

Back