Not yet,the govt.moves slowly on issues they don't like.

FAR 1.1 defines Light Sport Aircraft:

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than—

(i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or

(ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.

(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.

(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.

(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.

(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.

(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.

(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.

(8) A fixed or feathering propeller system if a powered glider.

(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.

(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.

(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.

(12) Fixed or retractable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.

(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

A 150 is too heavy to qualify.

Nope, but with how they fly, they should be

They epitomize what light sport aircraft should be! The idea promoted by light sport was slow flight, simple, and forgiving aircraft. That is a cessna 150 but is not what most light sport aircraft are. Instead, they are very light, and challenging to land aircraft for people who are not sharp with reflexes and currency. In many ways the aircraft are actualy the opposite of what I think was intended in terms of easily manageable aircraft.

Professor Shuch teaches that the whole point of the weight limitation was to keep Vso, and hence landing speed, low. Huge difference in energy carried into the landing when at or near the mandated 45k or less stall speed of an LSA, compared with larger, faster or higher performance planes.

Looking up a 150's Vso, it appears to be 42k (M model).

So, it appears that the C150 could easily be included as an LSA, in spite of its weight in excess of the 1,320 lb LSA limit.

We can only hope!

I would not say that making 150 an SP-compatible plane a dumb idea outright, but it is somewhat misguided. The guys who clamour for it really want a cheap airplane that they can fly with an expired medical. Turning to 150 for that goal only comes out of ignorance. They can already buy airplanes that are SP-eligible for about the same money as a decent 150 (we're talking $25k - class airplanes). Sonex is a great example here, but you can also get RANS S-6 etc.

I would admit that junk 150s get way lower than that. When I wanted to buy those, I was looking at $16k airplanes, and there are no decent airplanes in that range. Those 150s are the best you can get. The matching-performance competition at that price is something like a Kitfox II with a 582 engine. That said, I paid $12k for my Carlson and honestly I'm quite glad that I didn't get a 150. Thank you, FAA, and your bureaucratic obstructionism.

Is a Cessna 150 or 152 considered a LSA?

It should be clarified that NO legacy certificated aircraft is an LSA. There are certain ones that meet the statutory requirements for a person holding a Sport Pilot License to legally operate and in the case of the 150 the only criteria it doesn't comply with is gross weight.

There is speculation that the LSA gross weight limit of 1320 lbs was deemed as such to intentionally eliminate a large number of existing aircraft from meeting the requirements because it would be next to impossible to sell a new Remos for $100k if there were thousands of used 150's on the market for $20k.

There is speculation that the LSA gross weight limit of 1320 lbs was deemed as such to intentionally eliminate a large number of existing aircraft from meeting the requirements because it would be next to impossible to sell a new Remos for $100k if there were thousands of used 150's on the market for $20k.

It's one the dumbest conspiracy theories, alongside TWA 800. When FAA started plotting to reign the fat ultraights in, they wanted to set the limit at 450 kg. It was a struggle to get them to 500 kg (1100 lbs), then 600 kg (1320 lbs). Jeez.

It should be clarified that NO legacy certificated aircraft is an LSA. There are certain ones that meet the statutory requirements for a person holding a Sport Pilot License to legally operate and in the case of the 150 the only criteria it doesn't comply with is gross weight.

Didn't the J-3 get a waiver on that?

Back